Any serving soldiers could give my son some fitness advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Mad keen to join an infantry regiment despite scoring high on tests and being offered a whole range of army trades.

He hopes to sign on in 6 months time when A levels are done.

His problem is he is very fit at running does well in bleep tests at cadets walks several miles per day up and down hills (mostly to save bus fares) . but his upper body strength is very weak, whenever he does anything physical he seems to pull muscles in arms/shoulder/back.

Tried to get him go to Leisure center gym but despite me funding it he doesnt want too . I have ordered a weights bench for home told him he needs to do lots of repettitions of very light weights and get some advice from school PE teachers.

Any advice I can pass on from serving soldiers he will listen too. Advice from Dad despite being ex soldier is largely ignored.

skyair

chin ups and pull ups will really help

screenman

Legendary Member
Have you tried getting him into Judo, that is hard work for sure. If he does not want to join the gym it will be hard to make him, but he will suffer if and when he gets in if he is not fit.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If he is getting strains and pulls, he is trying to do too much.

His best course of action is to go to a reputable gym and tell them his aims and get professional advice. He needs to do a wide range of excercises to effect all the muscle groups. The gym can sort that out.

Steve

Bill-H

slow and steady
Get him a good padded Bergan or day sack put a bit of weight in it and carry it all day and increase weight
But in reality he needs to hit gym and hit it hard

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Mad keen to join an infantry regiment despite scoring high on tests and being offered a whole range of army trades.

He hopes to sign on in 6 months time when A levels are done.

His problem is he is very fit at running does well in bleep tests at cadets walks several miles per day up and down hills (mostly to save bus fares) . but his upper body strength is very weak, whenever he does anything physical he seems to pull muscles in arms/shoulder/back.

Tried to get him go to Leisure center gym but despite me funding it he doesnt want too . I have ordered a weights bench for home told him he needs to do lots of repettitions of very light weights and get some advice from school PE teachers.

Any advice I can pass on from serving soldiers he will listen too. Advice from Dad despite being ex soldier is largely ignored.
You don't specify what he does but the list of potential causes of constant tears is long. Too long to even begin to determine a cause. It could simply be his lack of interest leading to crappy form (with whatever it is he does)

Start with the core and getting that stronger and then branching out on to more resistance training.
Why? The majority of compound movements will target the "core" in some way.

Last edited:
I am ex SAS (ssshhhh not really) and he should get to the gym !!!

Most people who claim to have been SAS weren't!

But back on topic, the PT Corps have a "manual" that is published as a guide to fitness:

fitnessguide500_88892.jpg

Don't take this the wrong way...

The Army is long used to recruits who are illiterate, unfit, lazy and undisciplined.

The whole point of basic training is to resolve this.

Having said that the fitter you are the easier you will find it

They are out to get you, they are trying to put you under pressure and to a certain extent they are pushing you to the limit..... but that way the only ones that get through are the ones that will last.

The best advice is that whatever happens persevere with basic training and don't make any decisions until you get to the Trade (Infantry is a trade) traiing.

compo

Veteran

I don't mean this in any way as a put down but if he can't be bothered with the gym it doesn't say a lot for his motivation. As @Cunobelin says the military has ways and means of getting you fit but it can be more painful without good preparation. He should join my old mob, then he would know about getting fit!

Top Bottom