Any suggestions for cycling in Tunisia?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I have a couple of weeks on business in Tunis in January and looking for any advice about cycling there. I appear to be able to rent a road bike so would be spending a day out and about near Tunis. Anyone got any knowledge?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Be very, very careful on the roads. Drivers choose whichever side they're on depending on the potholes.

Some routes; http://www.mapmyride.com/tn/tunis-tunis/

Someone else's thoughts: http://travellingtwo.com/resources/10questions/tunisia

I didn't ride when there but drove all over including right to the southern edge. Well worth travelling around but hair-raising driving standards.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sounds like a fairly dicey place even if you’re not on a bike. FO says a state of emergency has been in place since 2015 and has been extended several times, the last since November.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Sounds like a fairly dicey place even if you’re not on a bike. FO says a state of emergency has been in place since 2015 and has been extended several times, the last since November.
the general FCO advice seems to be that is fine. I have also been to Kenya and Nigeria this year and they are much dodgier on a day to day basis

jongooligan

Legendary Member
An ex mate (it's a long story) has been there a few times, so many times that he was thinking of leading a tour for the CTC (or whatever they're called these days). Said that prior to the Arab Spring it was one of the most law abiding places he'd been to but has got a bit wild since then. On his last trip he was robbed twice. The first time a motorbike drew up alongside him as he was riding and the passenger kicked him over. They stole his panniers, wallet, passport and phone then rode off back to the city my mate had just left. He had little option but to ride back there and report it to the police and contact the consulate. He was stuck there for three days but the rozzers did catch the culprits and he got some of his stuff back. He didn't have time to continue his tour so set off back towards the coast the next day. As he was riding out of the city he had to stop at a crossroads where someone dashed out of an alley, snatched his prescription sunglasses off his face and disappeared into another alley. My mate tried to chase him but had to give up pretty quickly in the maze of alleys.
Don't think he's been back since.
On the plus side, it must be an interesting place to cycle in or he wouldn't have gone so many times or planned to get it on the CTC holidays list.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
I'm sold on it now....

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Quick update.. I came for 2 weeks in January and now out for two more weeks.. First trip mild and sunny (about 17 to 19).. Currently much greyer

The people could not be friendlier.. I have been into tunis a couple of times.. Zero hassle even in the souk.. Yesterday we took a trip down to Hammamet in shared taxi.. £1.60 per person for 60km trip. Regular taxis are about £2 for up to half an hour.. Three course set lunch in business district £3.30

No cycling done and few cyclists on the roads but I have been to loads of other African places inc Egypt and this is incredibly calm and laid back by comparison

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I haven't been there for many years, but what you describe I recognise. Even when we were (attempted to be) ripped off it was done with such style and good humour that I still tell the story today :smile:

The Roman sites are just astonishing, and the War Cemetaries very moving, I remember.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, but PACE prevents the UK dibble using some of the, erm, 'unconventional' inquiry techniques that the Tunisians employ.

I haven't been to Tunisia since I was a kid, don't remember it all that well.

Top Bottom