Any Television/Humax Experts Around Here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
We don't get ordinary terrestrial tv here. I do have a sky satellite dish. We got rid of Sky about 3 years ago and we bought a Humax Freesat box and plugged it into the sat dish. Works really well and records as well.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Have you thought about switching to something like TalkTalk? You get all the freeview channels and the option of adding others as well as your broadband and phone - £26.95 per month for 2 years... you get a router for your broadband and a TV box that connects to that - it can record, pause live TV etc.
I don't want to be in a contract with anyone as we're hoping to relocate within the next 12 months.

midlife

Guru
Humax has dropped out of the Freesat market and stopped making them.

Shortage of Freesat boxes that record = not cheap to buy

I'd go with aeriel and free view. Buy a humax pvr and take it with you. My humax has worked flawlessly for donkeys years.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
All TV's now have Freeview built in, and newer ones have freeview play that's a bit better. Most will also record if you pop a £50 hard drive in one of the USB sockets, so you don't need a recorder - not used my Topfield PVR in years (still connected) as you can get everything on catch up.

Just fit an arial. - We have two in our loft, one for the main TV and one for the bedroom, cheap as chips if you do it yourself.

We have Amazon and Netflix and this is fine - SKY/Virgin is so outdated.

Mike_P

Guru
I have a seemingly rare TV that has both Freeview and Freesat tuners in it along with PVRs of both varieties and a BT one as well. Generally I favour the Freesat signal, SD on Freesat looks nearly as good as HD on Freeview. Downside to Freesat is that Channel 4 fell out with them and pulled their HD channels off it so that alone could be a decision maker. Upside to Freesat is that you can get the local TV service you prefer whereas with Freeview you get one and local topography can mean it's not necessarily the localist. Humax have stopped making Freesat boxes because Freesat changed to Arris to provide the latest generation of Freesat boxes but their arrival seems to be somewhat torturous. Have read of people keeping the Sky box which could be an option? As the op has a dish it would seem logical to get a Freesat box (if the Sky one cannot be kept) .

postman

Legendary Member
Like you we are dumping Virgin ,but don't tell them.We got a refund of £27 for an 'outage' as it was called in Jan,we then reduced costs by getting a smaller package.This time next year we will be on Freeview,like you a new telly, aerial and a box .Costs are getting out of hand.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Humax has dropped out of the Freesat market and stopped making them.

Shortage of Freesat boxes that record = not cheap to buy

But used Humax Foxsat HDRs are cheap as chips on eBay.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
So whilst we have some Freeview knowledge people assembled can somebody answer my query.

We have four TV's in our house (why I don't know) of various ages. None are smart TVs. The newest ones have more Freeview channels than the older ones. Even if you do an update, reinstall, add new channels on the older TVs they still only have what they have and don't get some that are on the newer TVs.
Is it just a case of that's the way they were programmed from the off and like it or lump it?

Sorry it's a bit of a long winded query.
Do they have separate aerials? Apparently, some channels can be on a lower power 'mux' which could be picked up properly by a decent aerial, but might not be by a poor one.

Article about it HERE.

Top Bottom