Any thoughts on this bike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member

CXRAndy

Guru
The bike is the same drive system as the Ribble. Flat handlebars compared to road bars. Same 250Wh battery. Gearing should be sufficient for most hills.

If availability is a prime consideration at this time. then Cannondale leads the pack.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks perfect to me. I think the advantage of going with a large international concern like Cannondale is everything should be sorted and well thought out, they wouldn’t bring anything to market that isn’t tested and proven. The integrated app is a nice touch.
Ribble are a newcomer to the electric market so I wouldn’t be so confident buying there but it’s obviously your call.
Buying local also makes sense.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Looks perfect to me. I think the advantage of going with a large international concern like Cannondale is everything should be sorted and well thought out, they wouldn’t bring anything to market that isn’t tested and proven. The integrated app is a nice touch.
Ribble are a newcomer to the electric market so I wouldn’t be so confident buying there but it’s obviously your call.
Buying local also makes sense.

I agree newcomers can be a slight risk, but in the case of Ribble, they are using established technologies with the drive system. The frame like virtually all bikes will be made in China

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A single chain ring with an 11-36 at the back could be limiting.

Typically, such a setup would use an 11-40 or 11-42.

Range is nothing special. the Cannondale site says 47 miles but that is normally optimistic
My Raleigh has 300Wh compare to this on at 250Wh and if was going back I would have got something bigger

Also remember that battery life is measured as recharge cycles - so if you have a bigger battery it doesn't need charging as often so last longer
So it would probably pay in the long term

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
A single chain ring with an 11-36 at the back could be limiting.

Typically, such a setup would use an 11-40 or 11-42.
Limiting in what way ?
I am hopeless at working out gears.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
It's pretty flat round Warrington - yup might be an issue in the Peaks, but if Dave want's to ride from home it will be ideal.

Given it's in stock.... go for it.
Yes....pretty much all from home. There are some hills as I get further into Cheshire.
Oh and there is a long (3 mile) incline if I ride to Arley Hall but I can still just manage that on the Whyte Sterling.....which my son now owns.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Range is nothing special. the Cannondale site says 47 miles but that is normally optimistic
My Raleigh has 300Wh compare to this on at 250Wh and if was going back I would have got something bigger

Also remember that battery life is measured as recharge cycles - so if you have a bigger battery it doesn't need charging as often so last longer
So it would probably pay in the long term
I take your point but my rides are now 20ish miles with the odd 35 thrown in.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Limiting in what way ?

With a single ring at the front the range of gears is limited by the rear cassette, and the 36 may not provide a low enough gear for climbs.

There shouldn't be a problem with the highest gear.

Bear in mind this is a light assist ebike, so the motor will not drag you up anything steep without a fair amount of effort.

I think another member on here bought this bike and decided to fit a wider range cassette.

Easily remedied, either new cassette or smaller chainring-which ever is cheapest and easiest to source.

Hopefully.

I think the existing derailer would take the bigger cassette, even if Shimano says it's outside it's design range.

But it might not, and the chain will almost certainly need to be lengthened.

The job could easily come to fifty quid or more, and it seems daft to me to do such a mod on a new bike out of the box.

And there's always

I am hopeless at working out gears.

Which means Dave would be firmly in the hands of his bike shop.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Did you have a look in Ron Spencers?
I know they can more expensive, and are Giant dealers, but it may widen your choice.
Yes....I did but amazed at how heavy they are. 23 Kg from memory.
The Cannondale is 14.5 Kg which is more manageable for storage which is on hooks in the garage.

Top Bottom