Any tips for my first 76 mile ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

loki421

Hi all! :biggrin:

I'm quite a beginner and new here too. I'm thinking of taking part in the Dorking Original Sportive in October (here)

There's 3 routes, one 'fun' route at 31m, then the standard 76m followed by a massive 102m. My girlfriend is on a hybrid (Trek 7.2 WSD) and she's gonig to do the 31m as she's managed 40m in a day before, so she's up for the challenge...

Now I'm on a base model road bike (Trek 1.1) and do 19m at avg 17 -18mph 3 times a week and takes about an hour with around 20m on a Sunday with my girlfriend at a steady 11mph (coz she's on a slower bike). I've been doing this for a few weeks now and still have another month or so before the event.

So my question is do you think I'm ready for this, or am I bitting off more than I can chew. I think I can do it, should take me around 4 - 5 hours I'd have thought?

Does anyone have any tips for what I should take with me, ie energy drinks or gels etc? Or has anyone else done this event and what's it like?

Any advise or suggestions would be gratefully received :smile:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I think that you are being optimistic on the time allowance. You'll get round but not at the speed that you anticipate. `It's quite a leap from 20 miles to 76 miles. Go for a fast 31 miles and enjoy it rather than suffer on a longer ride. You'll only have to worry about hydration on the 31 mile ride if you've had porridge for breakfast.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I think that you are being optimistic on the time allowance. You'll get round but not at the speed that you anticipate. `It's quite a leap from 20 miles to 76 miles. Go for a fast 31 miles and enjoy it rather than suffer on a longer ride. You'll only have to worry about hydration on the 31 mile ride if you've had porridge for breakfast.
Vernon is right, its a big jump from 20 miles to 76 miles without riding longer distances, you could do it but do not expect to be able to ride at the same pace .When i go out for my 24 mile fast loop i can average 20 mph but for a big ride this would drop at least 1 mph or more depending on terrain, following directions and do not forget you will have to think about feuling as after about 1.5 hours your glycogen stored will be depleted so you will need to eat/drink.
I was advised to eat a little every half hour or so and to keep drinking , for the cannock sportive i did 71 miles ( i got lost :smile: ) and i used 3 water bottles worth of drink and about 3 gels +couple energy bars .This for me was probably overkill as i had plenty in the tank at the end but it all depends on what your body needs,terrain and if you can get into a group as this makes it a lot easier .
If you want to go for the longer ride i would suggest tyring to ride longer distances building up to 50 miles or so 1st.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The sensible option is to do the 31 miler but If you really want to take up the challenge of the long route then do it. You will finish it ok provided you dont set off too fast and you eat/drink during the ride.

Small groups tend to form on sportives join one of these and its surprising how much easier it is but dont struggle to stay in a group ,you will either fail or hurt a lot from muscle strain/cramps etc if you try to go too quickly.Expect your speed to fall significantly from your short training rides.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
The time is feasible (terrain, weather dependent) if you are use to doing 40-60miles at that pace but you are only used to do 19miles; I think you are being a tad ambitious :thumbsup:
My usual for a sportive of that length is:
a good meal the night before (preferably pasta based);
a light breakfast (something like a bowl of weetabix);
gradual prehydrating (drinking slowly over a long time before I start);
and carry one bottle of energy drink and a couple of either bananas, cereal bars or gels (you may need more than that though).

If the entry submission is not for a month or so then why not try a doing a 35-40 miler once a week, say at the weekend. Depending on how you feel after a few of these, you may be able to up your miles to 45-50. It's really the only way to judge wether or not you can do it. The guys above are correct IMO though. Best with a bit more prep and to ride with groups before jumping in the deep end. To be on the safe side. ^_^ But upping your miles is the only place to start.
+1 on the bananas for energy food. Cheap and effective. I daily have a breakfast of weetabix with banana. Nom nom.

wealthysoup

It's a big jump but certainly doable, last weekend for example I did 90 miles in a sportive and my longest single ride was 27 miles, 38 in one day (work and back). I've been cycling since the start of April.

If your doing it then I suggest using 2 bottles on your bike, one of water and the other water mixed with carbohydrate / electrolyte powder. I used sis lemon and lime (so nice with ice) and measured portions for each water stop the night before.
As for food on the ride, I had a flapjack, and several bars of country store bars. Also took jelly baby's which I didn't open and 3 gels (only had 1). Had a banana at a water stop and also received a cliff bar (white chocolate and macadamia nut) with lunch (very nice actually).

Although the last 15 miles were very hard the majority of it was surprisingly easy (perhaps due to riding with so many others).

In short, if your up for a challenge then do the 70 odd mile route, if you want something easy to blast around then do the short route.

Feel free to message me if you want any advice :-)

P.s a month is tonnes of time as long as your willing to put some time and effort in

OP
OP
L

loki421

Wow, well thanks everyone for all your advice.

I'm really torn, one half of me says ride steady with the girlfriend and keep her pepped round the ride, the other half of me says do some training this month and take up the challenge! lol.

Guess I'll just have to see how I feel more closer to the time, but really apreciate all the replies, it's made me think about a few things.

Thanks again all ^_^

Klaus

Last year I did my first Audax, 106 km (about 67 miles), furthest I did ever before that was 40 miles on a leisurely trip. I you have done 30 miles before you can do 76. The physical demands aren't that much more as long as you eat & drink enough before and during the ride. It's the psychology that got me a bit, once I had done 50 km I thought "no problem, I can do it". But come the 70 km mark I was really down, and the last 15 km was a struggle, but I had encouragement from the guy sweeping up the tail end riders. Good Luck!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Last year I did my first Audax, 106 km (about 67 miles), furthest I did ever before that was 40 miles on a leisurely trip. I you have done 30 miles before you can do 76. The physical demands aren't that much more as long as you eat & drink enough before and during the ride. It's the psychology that got me a bit, once I had done 50 km I thought "no problem, I can do it". But come the 70 km mark I was really down, and the last 15 km was a struggle, but I had encouragement from the guy sweeping up the tail end riders. Good Luck!

There's quite a difference between the pace of an Audax and the pace of a sportif. Audaxes are leisurely and sportives are a race in all but name with riders chasing good times.

I'm happy with flattish 200km audaxes but shy away from anything with Sportive in the title.

Peteaud

Veteran
My 2p worth.

Do the shorter ride.

Why?

it keeps you with the GF and keeps her good.
Rides are meant to be enjoyable.

I did a 47 miler a few weeks back and although i had done several 35 mile run as training the extra did make a difference. I would say yes you could do it, but at what cost?

Do the shorter ride, put it down to getting experience and enjoy the day.

Top Bottom