Any tips for organising a Street Party

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Our street, which has about 40 houses, is the ideal shape for a street party. It has a small green. It can be closed of for a day without causing any great inconvenience. It's also go an interesting mix of people.

I thought I'd organise a street party next summer.

Has anybody got any experience of this? What are the pitfalls?

Jane Smart

The Queen
I would check with the police, if I were you. I think that you need to have access at all times for emergency services? Also in Scotland there is no alcohol allowed in public places.

Apart from that, great idea, can I come?? :biggrin:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Rigid Raider said:
Will you be providing caviar, quails' eggs and Moet for the hoi-polloi to enjoy?
I've never seen the point of quails' eggs.

The usual thing is to have trestle tables and for people to bring stuff - but it might be that we'd have a whip-round for a caterer.

Aperitif

Meme bar
dellzeqq said:

The usual thing is to have trestle tables and for people to bring stuff - but it might be that we'd have a whip-round for a caterer.

Thank goodness Mr & Mrs Quail do...:angry:

Hire TT - of the five star Horley Scout Hut restaurant, "The Fat Dib"!

Wigsie

Nincompoop
dellzeqq said:

Oh how the other half live! :angry: renting a caterer for a street party?? :bicycle::laugh::bicycle:

Street party's are about community spirit and people mucking in, not paying the common folk to come in and tend to their every need... Had a few at my old house... More than one or two of the men on the block will have decent sized Barbeque's? line them up, do some hot food. you can guarantee a few folk will have their signature dishes they will want to make etc. Compile a questionnaire and send it round, see who would be willing to do what then go from there.

You can always hire in the poorpers to clean up? :sad:;)

Not sure what the laws on access etc are, I would imagine providing everything used is a non permanent structures so a fire engine etc could get by you should not have a problem.

PaulB

Legendary Member
You're not forgetting the main reason for a party are you? Something to celebrate? The last two street parties I attended were to celebrate A) England's World Cup win in 1966 and :angry: Man landing on the moon in 1969.

You could make yours subject to England winning the World Cup next summer. Or maybe the launch of Dan Brown's new book or somefink.

Blackandblue

We have a street party every year.

Wigsie is right - it's all about people mucking in.

I think you need to contact police and/or local council for consent to block off the road.

The fire service are often happy to turn up anyway which is fun for the kids.

Bouncy castles can be hired.

You might find you have a singer or musician in your street who would be happy to perform.

As with anything, organisation is key. But a well organised street party is fantastic.

Good luck!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Here's Dellboy chatting to one of his mates on the street, maybe this was the chat that got the ball rolling?

Is the skip yours Dellers?

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Blackandblue said:

I think you need to contact police and/or local council for consent to block off the road.

You might find you have a singer or musician in your street who would be happy to perform.

As with anything, organisation is key. But a well organised street party is fantastic.

Good luck!
That's all good stuff. Many thanks.

The caterer thing was tounge in cheek, although I did attend a street party this summer in which some people had made jellies and cakes and salad and stuff and some people had simply popped down to the deli. And, yes, there was (lumpfish) caviar.

Zimmers, I think you may have the wrong street. Look for the green.

Blackandblue

Blackandblue said:

This is one of the great things about events like this. Ours unearthed a very talented singer and a musician (also very talented). But you will likely find one or more of your residents will have any number of hidden talents that they would be happy to showcase. Devise a questionnaire to go to each household that will unearth these talents and other key attributes that will make the event a success.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Blackandblue said:

Good luck!

And, often for the Mums too - eye candy!:welcome: Great idea - and they can do some home safety advice while they're at it.

It sounds like a great idea. There must be jelly though. And Coronation Chicken, a dish virtually invented for the street party.

To get people mixing, you could have a sort of musical chairs, so that everyone swaps places between courses....:wacko:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
What a wonderful idea!

I read somewhere one of the weekend broadsheets that street parties used to be a spontaneous get together but especially in London there's problems with red tape and health and safety - try and contact the council (Lambeth I asssume?) and the police as early as you get a date - there was mention that it may cost for the street to have a party and to meet all the health and safety regulations - i hope this isn't the case as it seems ridiculous.

Good luck with the planning - if only my street was as sociable...yes I know I should organise one myself!!

Top Bottom