Any tips on how to remove a chewed up freewheel hub?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
It's not the Shimano sort it's an old one with a two peg engagement on the freewheel. I put the tool in a vice, engaged the notches to the hub, turned the wheel to undo it and it just stripped the hub engagement notches as if they were made of putty.

I'd like very much to save the wheel as it fits a 120mm rear drop-out frame that I want to be building up.

Appreciate any tips or advice anybody might have.

Sharky

Guru
Did you try putting the QR back in place or the axle nuts back on to hold the freewheel remover tool in place? Tighten it up and just leave a tiny bit of slack. Then I just use a big adjustable spanner. If the notches have gone completely could be a problem.

Good luck,
Keith

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Did you try putting the QR back in place or the axle nuts back on to hold the freewheel remover tool in place? Tighten it up and just leave a tiny bit of slack. Then I just use a big adjustable spanner. If the notches have gone completely could be a problem.

Good luck,
Keith
i read somewhere that if you are prepared to wreak/junk the freewheel --- it can be removed piece by piece
chisel off the lock ring.?
i'll look for the link
Thanks. I think I may have heard of this. There are a couple of holes in the face plate that might yield to some wrangling. Certainly not bothered about the free-wheel if I can save the wheel.
Is the faceplate reverse threaded, do you know?

A freewheel is conventionally threaded and that plate just gets you to the bearing and pawls. Not sure if you can do anything from there. You'll need to get something on where the tool goes.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
If you are not bothered about keeping the freewheel then it is easily removed by tapping the lockring off with an old screwdriver or similar, then pull off the freewheel outer/sprockets to leave the body behind. Remove the pawls and springs then clamp some mole grips tightly into the hollows where the pawls were and use the mole grips as the lever to unscrew the freewheel body. I have done this loads of time as a kid back in the day and did it again about a year ago to replace the freewheel on my sons mountain bike. Works every time and if you are careful you can even rebuild and reuse the freewheel (I did this when I was a teenager back in the 80's).

Top Bottom