any tubless mtb recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
comeon answers?

OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
i have been reading about this . i am not sure i need it as i have wheels and tyres which are tubeless ready. is this not used for combinations that are not tubeless ready.

having done some reading as i have the wheels and tyres ready do i just need the special valve to seat in the rim, but what about sealant any? type and then inflate is this right? cheers

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Without getting too complicated. You can run tubeless specific rims and tubeless tyres without sealant, but the question arises: what is the point?

Sealant prevents the tyre going down 'if' you get a puncture. No sealant, and the tyre will deflate and you'll have to stop and fit a tube.

You can also run any beaded tyre with sealant, wheras you need tubeless tyres to work on a tubeless rim without sealant. You'll need a tubeless valve whatever.

What rims have you got?

OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
quite which is why i now want the sealant and i guess the special valves. I am running bontrager race lites with bontrager jones tyres all tubeless ready

OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
thanks, on the back of this i read that track pumps are not quick enough to get the trye seated properly, which i do find too, does anyone recommend a home compressor tyre inflator

OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
is this a stupid question how do you get sealant into the tyre void? you need the injector too?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I've never used a compressor and never had any problems.

the way i do it is to attach track pump, lay wheel horizontal on a bucket, wipe very thick soapy water around the rim/tyre gap (both sides) with a brush, i use a dustpan brush, then pump.
if it goes up, then all good. pump up to pressure, and you'll hear the beads seat properly, they will 'pop' into place and leave 1/2 hour. then deflate tyre, carefully nudge the tyre off the bead on one side, put in the sealant, and then re-inflate with some more soapy water.

You don't need a compressor, but some find it hard to get any pressure without one. Some use co2 gas

Top Bottom