Any Twitchers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yes, my feeders are seasonal for the birds here.
Winter, busy.
Spring, busy. Chicks in the nest. Can't keep up with their pigginess. Summer, very quiet, as there's lot's of natural sources around.

potsy

Rambler
We get a few of those too, they like to fight with the wood pigeons, the doves usually win despite their size ^_^

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Despite a younger life in the couuntryside, a father that loved birdwatching, wildlife in general and long countryside walks, we never saw collared doves (although they seem more suited to urban environments). They're not a native species and only in the 1950s did they start breeding here...and so they're quite common now.
Same was true of Magpies, never ever saw one until maybe the mid 1980s. Now they abound everywhere.
That reminds me: I heard talk of thieving magpies as a child but I was living in Leeds and I'd never seen them so I decided it must have been a proverbial animal. Then the family moved south and they were all over the place!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Methinks that's the Spring "territorial/come hither and breed" call of the Great Tit (as others have identified). But I could be wrong. Generally heard in the spring from my experience
I think it doesn't happen just in spring but, generally, yes, you hear it most in spring, from my experience.

I didn't know that this site supported sound files. I'm sure it never used to.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
This spring, a beautiful pair of Greater Spotted Woodpeckers have take up residence in a willow at the bottom of my garden. I hear and see them frequently, highlights to my day!

But for the last couple of weeks, the male has got into the habit of perching on my TV antenna and hammering away at it, causing a loud boom/wailing noise inside the house, amplified via the chimney stack. The first time I heard it, I thought my central heating was about to blow up! To make matters worse .....

... he's at it every morning now from about 0530 onwards!

Here he is in the photo attached - beautiful bird, but not my favourite alarm clock.

Beautiful bird indeed - reminds me of the ones my missus makes in fused glass..

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Here's a photo of a Collared dove taken last week, it was eyeing up the feeder with its mate...

Attachments

• SAM_091crop9.jpg
    SAM_091crop9.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 2
Top Bottom