Any ubuntu experts out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm trying to get a laptop setup for my daughter, and all's nearly there except that I can't get it to remember anything. Every time I reboot, I have to re-enter the WEP key to get online, which is a real pain. On similar lines, the display is set to go dim after 10 minutes to save power, which I don't want it to do. So I've gone to the display and reset it to 'don't go dim to save power'. And it doesn't. Till I reboot the computer, from which point it's gone back to going dim after 10 minutes. Basically, it doesn't seem to want to retain any changes I make. I've been googling for an hour now and getting nowhere. Anyone out there have a simple solution? (It's Ubunto 11.10, if it makes a difference.)

Garz

Squat Member
I have just started to tinker with the distro's seeing as I acquired an old laptop. I plumped for Lubuntu as although Ubuntu looked visually great, it was slow on this machine.

Garz

Squat Member
Are you using the live cd? If so it is storing everything in RAM and not a full installation which would store to hard disk.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Ah...I should've mentioned...I'm running it off a memory stick on account of technical glitches with the HD - does that explain it? Is there a solution?

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I have ubuntu installed on a HDD, I had been using a 4Gb SD card temporarily, but ubuntu doesn't behave as it should until it's been 'installed' onto a HDD or similar. My HDD installation remembers the wep key and various settings, although I did remember wrestling with the video settings because it was closing down the display after 15 mins and needed a password to be entered each time I returned to the laptop to recover the display, I've forgotten which setting it was, but it no longer turns off the display, which is good when watching Iplayer!! (I am using it on a laptop)

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Hallelujah! I just found the answer - here. It's to do with the initial setup of the ubuntu on the stick. You have to specify a 'persistence option' - the default is to allow no space on the drive to save any changes you make. By giving a few Mb over to 'persistence', it saves the changes you make. Thanks Garz & themikey - you led me to the right solution, albeit in a roundabout way.

Garz

Squat Member
Glad you have resolved any issues mate. I installed Lubuntu as it runs slicker than Ubuntu, can't stand any slowness.

Top Bottom