Any way a Thru axle fork&hub can be coverted to fit a QR skewer? (i.e. the opposite problem of what most people encounter)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pinet

Regular
Hi,
Some months ago, my son went from a 16-inch to a 20-inch bike. I made a mistake and didn't realize that the new bike was equipped for some reason with (overkill) Thru-axles front and rear. It was a mistake because while bike touring, I sometimes connect my son's bike to mine via a 'FollowMe Tandem' which connects from my bike to his front axle. This connection is possible only with a front QR axle or solid axle on the kid's bike.
So... does anyone have a solution for converting my son's Thru-axle hub and fork to fit a QR skewer, or more specifically this (w/o changing the fork and wheel...:sad:)?

Thanks!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/problem-solvers-thruaxle-qr-adapter-12-mm-to-qr/

I think. depends on his forks spacing is a "standard" 100mm?

OP
OP
P

Pinet

Regular
Thanks very much T4tomo and vickster, I hadn't seen these.
But still there's a problem: the spacing on his hub is indeed a standard 100mm but it's a 15x100mm axle and not 12mm (the hub is a Joytec D041-15 15x100mm).

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks very much T4tomo and vickster, I hadn't seen these.
But still there's a problem: the spacing on his hub is indeed a standard 100mm but it's a 15x100mm axle and not 12mm (the hub is a Joytec D041-15 15x100mm).

Give SJS a ring and ask for their advice
+441278 441500

OP
OP
P

Pinet

Regular
Come to think of it, the above adapters won't work because they are made to allow a Thru axle hub fit into a QR fork. But in my case both the hub and the fork are for Thru axles. So it seems there's no way to do this, which would make sense since why would anybody need to convert a good Thru axle fork+hub combo to QR (unless one needs to use a FollowMe Tandem and happens to buy the only 20 inch kid's bikes in the world with Thru axles...:sad:).

T4tomo

Legendary Member
well I'm not sure what fits where onto your bike - dont you just need to get the
1682435258178.png

attached between the front forks on laddo's bike? can you not just remove the thru axle and screw that in either side of the "drop outs" butting up against the silver part of the Ritchey MTN Hub Axle Conversion Kit - Front - 15 mm to Standard QR with Skewer (which goes thru the hole left in the hub after TA removed?
thus
1682435930241.png

I assume something attaches to the silver ends of the top picture on your bike.

you just need to be sure its a secure fit where the two "silver" bits meet through the forks, so its fine for when laddo is cycling solo. it may need a washer (possibly rubber washer) either side so it doesn damage the TA "hole"

there isnt much difference between the exterior fork end of a TA fork and a QR fork, its just the TA fork is a full circle, the QR for has slot so it can release.

OP
OP
P

Pinet

Regular
Ok, interesting...I had started thinking in that direction but thought it would be either dangerous for the dropouts or dangerous for the lad (the latter being worse, I guess😉).
I hadn't realized the dropouts were identical, I thought the diameter of the TA dropout would be larger than the QR one, so that there would be play where the Hub Axle Conversion Kit's narrow ends (second pic) meet the dropouts.
I'll take a closer look in the morning, but maybe I'll give your idea a shot. I'd already thought to just take his pervious 16-inch bike or swap bikes with the neighbor's 20-inch just for the trip...

Top Bottom