Any way to mount lights on front forks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I seem to remember, many years ago, seeing road bikes with lights mounted on the front forks, but in these days of carbon forks, this practice seems to have completely disappeared.

I currently ride a touring bike, which has additional high level brake levers, which I do not want to lose. However, in order to add all the equipment I want (Rixen & Kaul click fix mount for map holder or bar bag; bell, trip computer, & two lights) the bar space taken up by the extra brake levers means that I have had to add a bar extender (projecting above my handlebars) to mount some of this extra stuff on.

Even so, the set-up is still not ideal for night riding, as the lights are mounted above the map holder, so that my maps would get in the way of the front light. I have removed my front pannier racks, and have braze-ons available on both front forks to potentially take alternative fittings. Does anyone make anything like a bar-extender (2 inches long would do) that would fit straight on to a braze-on? I haven't seen anything like that yet, but am almost tempted to weld something together that could be bolted onto the front fork braze-on, and to which I could attach a front light.
Any ideas?

Bodhbh

Guru
You should be able to get a fork crown light mount. I'm *sure* SJS used to do one, that was basically 2-3 inches of bar that'd mount via a bracket to the fork crown, but I can't find it in their catalogue. There's this one. I'm sure the one I've seen has much more bar space tho.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I seem to remember, many years ago, seeing road bikes with lights mounted on the front forks, but in these days of carbon forks, this practice seems to have completely disappeared.

I currently ride a touring bike, which has additional high level brake levers, which I do not want to lose. However, in order to add all the equipment I want (Rixen & Kaul click fix mount for map holder or bar bag; bell, trip computer, & two lights) the bar space taken up by the extra brake levers means that I have had to add a bar extender (projecting above my handlebars) to mount some of this extra stuff on.

Even so, the set-up is still not ideal for night riding, as the lights are mounted above the map holder, so that my maps would get in the way of the front light. I have removed my front pannier racks, and have braze-ons available on both front forks to potentially take alternative fittings. Does anyone make anything like a bar-extender (2 inches long would do) that would fit straight on to a braze-on? I haven't seen anything like that yet, but am almost tempted to weld something together that could be bolted onto the front fork braze-on, and to which I could attach a front light.
Any ideas?

Would your front bag setup still allow for something like this?

image.jpg

It's how I have mine mounted.

GC

OP
OP
Donger

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Many thanks to @Bodhbh and @glasgowcyclist for the tips. That was enough to set me in the right direction, and I've found 2 possible solutions for myself now. One is the "Origin8 Eyelet Stub" which fits onto braze-ons as I was thinking. the other is the "Cronometro Nob" - a nylon bar mount that apparently fits equally well on the oval (not tapered) upper parts of front forks. The term "fork crown mount" was enough to set me on the right eventual path. Many thanks again, both of you. You've just got to love Cycle Chat.

Ed. p.s. Origin8 Eyelet Stub now bought from SJS Cycles.

Last edited:
An inch or so of scrap handlebar sandwiched between two large "repair " washers , dont forget to wrap the tube with a piece of tape to give enough stiction to stop the lamp rotating I made something similar for the front headlamps on the trike .but welded the tube to the mudguard arms .

regards emma

threefingerjoe

Über Member
My solution is similar to Penmere's, but I used a PVC coupling and plug. Plug one end of the coupling, drill a hole through the centre of the plug, and run the proper screw through the hole and into a rack or mudguard mount.

What you are looking for is something like the Chronometro Nob:

nob.jpg

The problem with these though is that as the forks taper it is difficult to stop them slipping down

Of course one must ask if the users should collectively be known as Nobbers?

ACS

Legendary Member
This is my solution

A Crops BX 1 - Hub Bike Headlight Holder on the near side front axle with torch similar to a UltraFire CREE XRE Q5 mounted using a Twofish lock block

My 11.5 mile commute is on unlit, very rural, unlit roads and I'm very pleased with the result. The fact that the light is almost at ground level and illuminates the near side edge of the road exceptionally well gives a me greater sense of confidence.

I must add that I also use a set of handlebar mounted Ay Ups Road lights.

IMO the addition of the axle mounted light has proved to be a worth while investment, even if it is just for the WTF factor it causes approaching drivers. ^_^

(Standard caveat: no connection to any of the business or companies mentioned)

Last edited:
What you are looking for is something like the Chronometro Nob:

nob.jpg

The problem with these though is that as the forks taper it is difficult to stop them slipping down

Of course one must ask if the users should collectively be known as Nobbers?
Put a cable tie or a suitably sized o ring underneath it perhaps.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Zip ties, cateye or other banded type lights, or the knog type rubber housing and strap all in one lights or the doorstop bodge (bravo on that, it's excellent)

I've done something very similar to GC's mount on my Brompton front brake assembly with an old light mounting bracket from a jumble & it still fits under the low mounted front luggage on it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom