Any wine makers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Anybody here make their own wine? My wife mentioned a while ago that she'd like to give it a go so I thought I'd dig my hand in my pocket and get her the gear for Christmas. Trouble is I'm not too sure where to start when it comes to which kits to get. I remember my parents making wine and helping them pick buckets full of fruit but I'm not going to be doing that. So can anybody recommend a flavour which will taste like what it oughta and not like dirty dishwater?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I make my own wine, usually from scratch (literally, with blackberries!)
Hedgerow stuff is good, and free, and can be picked on a leisurely ride. Its a bit late for this year though.
Lots of fruits and vegetables can be used and a few pounds of them from the shops will make a decent wine. Kits can be purchased that have grape juice, yeast and nutrient in them and all that's needed is sugar and water.

As a basic starter kit, you will need a few demijohns, yeast, fermentation locks, tubing, campden tablets/sterilizing powder, a hydrometer, corks and a corker. (I save up the bottles from shop bought wines.)
Some wines need some pectolase to help them clear, but not all.
A quick search around the net will give you a price for Starter Kits.

I've always found it more rewarding making my own rather than the 'grape juice from a can' type. I've had some failures over the years, but not many.
At the moment, I have a gallon each of Elderberry, Blackberry, Carrot and Apple nearly ready for bottling :cheers:
A gallon gives approximately 6 bottles of wine. I owe one bottle of the apple to a mate as he gave me the apples.

Hope that helps :smile:

IMG_0558.JPG

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Hedgerow stuff is good, and free, and can be picked on a leisurely ride. Its a bit late for this year though.
Lots of fruits and vegetables can be used and a few pounds of them from the shops will make a decent wine. Kits can be purchased that have grape juice, yeast and nutrient in them and all that's needed is sugar and water.

As a basic starter kit, you will need a few demijohns, yeast, fermentation locks, tubing, campden tablets/sterilizing powder, a hydrometer, corks and a corker. (I save up the bottles from shop bought wines.)

I've always found it more rewarding making my own rather than the 'grape juice from a can' type. I've had some failures over the years, but not many.
At the moment, I have a gallon each of Elderberry, Blackberry, Carrot and Apple nearly ready for bottling :cheers:
A gallon gives approximately 6 bottles of wine. I owe one bottle of the apple to a mate as he gave me the apples.

View attachment 33331
Thats a great bit of info, thank you :thumbsup:
The picture brings back memories for me too of the demijohns lined up around the hearth at my mum and dads.
Looking around the net there's certainly plenty of options for starter kits something like this for example which seems to be pretty much everything you need to have a go and see if it's for you. I think if it's a bit complicated to start with then it'll be a off putting, but by the same token is it tastes like wee that'd probably be off putting too!
I'm sure that the pick your own way of doing things is vastly superior but I'm sure my wife would rather start off slowly. Have you tried any of the wine in a can systems and thought "Ooooooo, now that's not bad"?

jugglingphil

Much like PeteXXX I make a bit of hedgerow wine. I've never tried to use a kit.
Have made both Blackberry and Apple wine in the past.
Apple takes a lot more effort, but the result has been worth it. Ideally you'd need access to a press.

This year I have 5 gallons of blackberry wine, nearly ready to bottle, to be drunk after 6 months. With a friend we have 8 gallons of Apple wine to share. Probably won't be ready to bottle until Spring, then needs 6 months to a year before drinking.

For blackberry wine, spent a few hours picking, then probably 3 or 4 evenings (couple of hours each).

ASC1951

Guru
Have you tried any of the wine in a can systems
Years ago, yes.
.. and thought "Ooooooo, now that's not bad"?
No. Making wine from tinned grape pulp made sense when my dad was doing it in the 1960s, but not when you can get good quality wine from all over the world in your local supermarket. If you enjoy the process - and there was some satisfaction in the air-trap gloop-gloop chorus from the airing cupboard - do what PeteXXX does and make stuff that you can't buy in the shops.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Years ago, yes.
No. MakChristmasine from tinned grape pulp made sense when my dad was doing it in the 1960s, but not when you can get good quality wine from all over the world in your local supermarket. If you enjoy the process - and there was some satisfaction in the air-trap gloop-gloop chorus from the airing cupboard - do what PeteXXX does and make stuff that you can't buy in the shops.
Thats a good point well made........so what should I get my wife for Christmas instead?

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.

View attachment 33331
Is that a snake in the one on the right, like a tequila worm?

ASC1951

Guru
Thats a good point well made........so what should I get my wife for Christmas instead?
I'm only saying that IME making wine from grape pulp probably isn't worth it. You could still get her the equipment, which she could use to make 'country wines'. Some people do make very palatable drinks with eg elderflowers, even if fresh grapes are universally used for good reason.
You could also get her a couple of vines, depending on what sort of garden you have - there is a commercial 'niche' vineyard a few miles from me
http://www.englishwineproducers.co.uk/news/latest/it-s-a-yorkshire-winner-multiple-wins-for-leventhorpe-vineyard so getting usable crops in Pembroke wouldn't be a problem.
Or a wine-tasting experience here http://www.cwm-deri.co.uk which is a leisurely bike ride away ....

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I'm only saying that IME making wine from grape pulp probably isn't worth it. You could still get her the equipment, which she could use to make 'country wines'. Some people do make very palatable drinks with eg elderflowers, even if fresh grapes are universally used for good reason.
You could also get her a couple of vines, depending on what sort of garden you have - there is a commercial 'niche' vineyard a few miles from me
http://www.englishwineproducers.co.uk/news/latest/it-s-a-yorkshire-winner-multiple-wins-for-leventhorpe-vineyard so getting usable crops in Pembroke wouldn't be a problem.
Or a wine-tasting experience here http://www.cwm-deri.co.uk which is a leisurely bike ride away ....
We have two vines in our garden, not sure which ones they are now to be honest, we've had them for around 6-7 years or more and not had a single grape from either :laugh:
Maybe wine making isn't for us.

jugglingphil

We have two vines in our garden, not sure which ones they are now to be honest, we've had them for around 6-7 years or more and not had a single grape from either :laugh:
Maybe wine making isn't for us.

We had quite a crop from our vine this year, however I've not made into wine yet.
All the old Italian's that live around me club together and get grapes imported for their wine making!

Top Bottom