Anybody else always seem to choose the wrong clothes when starting their ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Arm and leg warmers are great! They pack up small for the jersey pocket.
My light weight leg warmers made there first appearance since the spring this morning. It's just a shame I didn't bother with the arm warmers.

Though to quote Mrs Dave- nobody ever died from cold arms.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
To echo what @raleighnut says, a nice big saddlebag can carry enough extras to cover a mini winter during my summer rides and will have enough room to store whatever clothing I don't need during a colder ride.
Getting my clothing layer choice dead on from leaving the front door to returning from a ride is a rare occurrence though. Specially with this bloody weather lately.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Though to quote Mrs Dave- nobody ever died from cold arms.
Not sure that's true on the bike: you lose feeling and control of your fingers, then you lose control of the bike and splat...

Getting my clothing layer choice dead on from leaving the front door to returning from a ride is a rare occurrence though. Specially with this bloody weather lately.
Welcome to the UK - please carry waterproofs and sunblock all summer.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yeah, if it rains you can stop and get in it!
No I use the bar bag for that.
Topeak-Bikamper1.jpg

Mine,

AroundTheSite-OffTheTracksSpring2013-PB08.jpg

hepburn

I often get my clothing choices wrong but I do agree that arm warmers are fab and can usually reverse any poor clothing decisions. They pack up really small and I can fit mine in my medium sized Topeak saddlebag with my pakajak (and still have room for my jelly babies ;) ). All bases covered then!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've been thinking of sticking a clothing predictor inside the door of the bike bits cupboard, with a list of what to wear for what temperature range but it's actually too complex as wind speed and humidity also come into it.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
For me the golden rule is dress for the weather conditions at the time you start the ride.

At this time of year, 7.00/7.30am start, this would mean armwarmers, base layer, summer shirt, gilet - it's easy to unzip, take off as required.

The exception to this rule would be club training runs which start st 6.30pm. I usually take a gilet and armwarmers to put on at the end of the session before riding home as the sweat cools and makes me cold.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
At the wrong time of year, a 7:30 start could mean 5 degrees and rain (What? You don't go out if it's raining?), but still get up to 20° by mid afternoon. Your jersey pockets aren't big enough for jacket, longs, long sleeves & gloves, so with nowhere to put what you want to take off, you end up sweating like a pig.

Saddlebags also allow you to take "just in case" gear.
I remember one 300k from Cheltenham. The weather had been good all week, and it wasn't that cold at the start, so some of riders were in armwarmers & gilets, but by the time we got to the half way control on the B4520 between Builth and Upper Chapel, there was a couple of inches of wet snow on the ground, with the controller going out to scrape the snow off the AUK sign every 15 minutes. I believe the garden centre in Rhayader did a roaring trade in gardening gloves :smile:

Top Bottom