Anybody else just wanted to vanish for a few days??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I live on my own so its not a major problem. I just want to be totally unavailable for 48 hours...............

Otherwise I`m a taxi service, slave, performer of miracles, open house to anybody who fancies tea or coffee, extra pair of hands for lifting this and moving that...etc etc etc

@speccy1 dont take this the wrong way you need a family because then you got very little spare time to help others

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
It sounds like he already has a family (although not in the same house) and that he already has very little time - having a live-in family would only make the demands on his time closer and even harder to escape from.

@speccy1 - just do it...

Not quite solo, but my husband and I did this a number of years ago. spent 12 months on the road, it was meant to have been longer. It was the best thing we ever did.
Prior to that we earned £27k more than we do now, ran around in circles doing everything for everyone and having very little time for ourselves, or each other. We were on the go constantly. We both had demanding full time jobs and were never in in the evenings or were always fixing someone else's computers, helping them out with this, that or the other and never actually at home.
Then I was diagnosed with a medical condition that had some serious complications and implications for the future and we had to stand back and make times for ourselves. I went through a period of wanting to do something different, so we went off on a 2 week cycle tour around Denmark. Prior to that we cycled to and from work on our bikes and would have a weekend ride but nothing major. 5 months after that holiday we took the decision to ditch everything in, my husband asked for voluntary redundancy during a round of compulsory redundancies at his work place, got voluntary and voluntary terms and we were on the road within 4 months having sold almost everything we owned. The rest we gave away, keeping only around 10 boxes of stuff that was important to us. I'll say it again - it was the best time we ever did.
Now we have more spare time, more money, more savings and we are both so very much happier for having done it. We are saving up to try to do something similar again.

@speccy1 get on with it, if you can.

Ganymede

Veteran
@speccy1 - I expect after reading these tales you have almost left already!

Here's a thing: you may have a lot of people relying on you and feel responsible. But if you go up in a massive explosion of stress you would have to let them down anyway - and might possibly say a few things you regret in the process, or end up in hospital. So you having your "me-time" is actually a gift to the whole of your world!!!

perplexed

Guru
I frequently feel the need to bugger off from the treadmill for a few days. Really just to go where other people aren't, leaving no mark. It's really all work related, as I'm content with the home life. I haven't done it yet, but...

I spend much of my time at work dealing with very stressful situations or people. The pull of just hearing the wind in the trees, the burble of a river, the birds and the insects without hearing other people yelling for their dogs/children or just talking inane b&88*cks is sometimes almost overwhelming.

Just let anyone who would be frantic that you're off for a day or two for a bit of downtime so the police don't have the helicopter up.

tyred

Legendary Member
Many times I felt like it, But I finally did so for the first time early this year.

Stuff and people were getting me down, I just persuaded my boss to give me a few days off at last minute notice, threw a few things into the car and drove of to the coast, switched my phone off and locked it in the glovebox, booked myself into a hostel for 4 nights, spent the days wandering up and down the beach, clearing all the shoot out of my head, evenings spent sitting in the quiet corner of a pub writing poetry on my observations from throughout the day. Arrived home feeling refreshed and mentally re-charged. I may do so again in the very near future future -best holiday I ever had :smile:

Top Bottom