Anybody else just wanted to vanish for a few days??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

I`m tempted to do this, work is driving me nuts, general people are driving me nuts, friends, family and neighbours are driving me nuts.................

I just want to get in the car tomorrow after work, no phone or means of communication and just disappear until Sunday night without a word to anybody.

I`m supposed to be doing a charity ride at the weekend, which I have paid for so nobody loses out if I don`t do it, plus my knee is hurting for some reason or other.

Anybody else done this? If so was it worth it?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Only if you've got a sea kayak and lots of life insurance...

always wanted to do it... still do.

i often thought of doing a Stonehouse/Perrin but just never had the guts, or could get properly organised. you'd need to have money to hand to get rid of the credit card trail.

for a few days, i think the temptation not to come back would be too great.

some evenings i stare at the departure boards for trains and want to just get on one going far away... or get off one when on a long trip. to vanish into the mist would be wonderful.

Ganymede

Veteran
I`m tempted to do this, work is driving me nuts, general people are driving me nuts, friends, family and neighbours are driving me nuts.................

I just want to get in the car tomorrow after work, no phone or means of communication and just disappear until Sunday night without a word to anybody.

I`m supposed to be doing a charity ride at the weekend, which I have paid for so nobody loses out if I don`t do it, plus my knee is hurting for some reason or other.

Anybody else done this? If so was it worth it?
I pushed off for nearly a week once when my brain was imploding. Got as far as the Isle of Arran! There's something about crossing water that does the soul good. I found a b+b, had a couple of long walks, came back, drove home, felt a lot lot lot lot better. Helped my relationships too.

No mobile phones then of course. If you want to stay lonely (in the best possible way) I'd buy a cheap PAYG for emergencies and just feck the feck off.

surfdude

Veteran
a friend had a mate who told his wife he was going out to get an evening news paper and she never saw him for six years . he had gone off to Australia to live with a mate of his . been planing it for a few weeks . don't think you should do this but if you fill the need just be honest and tell them you need some time alone . i work alone a lot so don't need to do anything like this

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

a friend had a mate who told his wife he was going out to get an evening news paper and she never saw him for six years . he had gone off to Australia to live with a mate of his . been planing it for a few weeks . don't think you should do this but if you fill the need just be honest and tell them you need some time alone . i work alone a lot so don't need to do anything like this
I live on my own so its not a major problem. I just want to be totally unavailable for 48 hours...............

Otherwise I`m a taxi service, slave, performer of miracles, open house to anybody who fancies tea or coffee, extra pair of hands for lifting this and moving that...etc etc etc

surfdude

Veteran
just say no to people then . its easy . every time someone asks you to be a taxi service, slave, performer of miracles, open house to anybody who fancies tea or coffee, extra pair of hands for lifting this and moving that just think of the fattest , smelliest ugliest women you can think of asking you to perform an act of love with her and trust me will learn you to say no . makes life a lot less hectic and stressful for you

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I drop off the face of the earth for 2 or 3 days from time to time. I just check into a hotel or hitch up the caravan and go. Freaks hubster out no end but I'll ring him from a payphone and let him know I'm ok and sometimes even vaguely where I am.
With the caravan, it's easier as I can take my Millie dog. She's ancient so I don't take the risk of her not being there when I get home again.
I do take my phone but keep it switched off. I can use it if I need to but people can't ring me.

The doc, that I was sent to see, knew that I did this from time to time and she seemed to think that it was cathartic. If I needed to do it, I needed to do it. I generally feel a whole lot better after running for the hills for a few days.

Just do it. You know that you will feel better for it. Your own space, your own time and nobody to answer to but yourself.

TVC

I live on my own so its not a major problem. I just want to be totally unavailable for 48 hours...............

Otherwise I`m a taxi service, slave, performer of miracles, open house to anybody who fancies tea or coffee, extra pair of hands for lifting this and moving that...etc etc etc
Fish and chips, sat on a beach, watching the sun go down. The world can't touch you when you do that.

Top Bottom