Anybody help with this one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
STX components dates it around 96.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've never heard of it, which means it's likely moderately rare. It's also a bike lf moderate quality for it's time, judging from the silhouette and componentry.

On the open market its just an old bike and wouldn't go for much, but it's pre 97, rare, seemingly original, and of decent quality, the lads on Retrobikes pay good, sometimes silly, money for bikes of this ilk.

Drago

Legendary Member
The general market agrees, but the Retrobikers don't see it that way. Some of them go potty for the most ridiculous rubbish, such as The Raleigh Activator 2. Stuff that might not attract 30 snifters in the smalls of the local chip wrapper might go for a century on Retrobikes. Seen it happen again and again.

Most bikes come from warehouses, so not sure of the relevance of that to the matter at hand.

S-Express

Most bikes come from warehouses, so not sure of the relevance of that to the matter at hand.

You're absolutely on-the-button about most bikes spending time in warehouses at some point in their life-span. However, 'warehouse brand' is a familiar enough expression, I would have thought. The most obvious comtemporary example over here is Planet X. Now, I know PX have their own fan base, and that the original Inbred is a desirable bike in some quarters, but let's not get overly-pedantic on New Year's Day.

Drago

Legendary Member
Exactly, and Retrobikes is the refuge of those in 'in some quarters' who salivate over the bizarrest things. I got shot of an early 501 framed Raleigh Pioneer over there for £150. There are people over there who'd pay a ton just for a STX groupset, never mind a whole bike.

And a Happy New Year Sir.

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
I like the look of it. I'd make an incredibly lowball offer and see if they accept.

GOAB

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
i have asked the seller for some more info

the front suspension puts me off a bit

Lowball and send a link to this thread.

That Sabotage is probably only worth £14.53 at best. Isn't that right everyone!?

GOAB

ChrisEyles

Guru
the front suspension puts me off a bit

Some of the old RST forks were perfectly fine (I've tried out Mozo Pros and 381s which are both pretty nice, and 181s which were fine if a bit flexy, though that might just have been worn bushings) so I wouldn't let that put you off too much.

As others have said, the STX groupset is rather nice, and is probably the mark of a decent frame too - the only thing to watch there is if you need to replace a chainring, some years Shimano used some bizarre BCDs with the granny sometimes mounted on the middle ring for STX.

If you want an orange MTB I'd say haggle down and go for it! Well worth £14.53 of anyone's money :smile:

(My personal thing is for yellow bikes, and yes this did play a significant part in choosing my MTB when I decided to get one) :smile:

Top Bottom