Anybody into drumming?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Me and 2 of my friends caught the drumming bug after being taught some basics by two other people staying in the same place over new year... Most addictive thing I've ever done, could never really understand why people are into drumming but am now definitely hooked (especially now my sore paws have recovered :becool:)...

Anyway, problem is no drumming without drums, one of the girls with drum recommended at shop in Wales that sells decent djembe drums for about £90 quid, but the trek down there is just too far, apparently there used to be a place in Lancaster too, but nobody seems to remember it or know if it still exists...

I know I've probably picked the wrong forum, but hey, stranger questions have been answered on here, so if anybody knows of any good shops selling djembes or people to contact within reasonable distance from Preston, please let me know!!! Also, any tips on what to look for when choosing would be great (so far, the main advice has been to stay away from anything that's cheap with lots of carvings and to preferably go for double-strung, and that's pretty much it...)

Abitrary

In the meantime, learn a paradiddle with your fingers, pencils, or whatever.

The paradiddle is like reversing around a corner for a drummer

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My eight year old lad is really into drumming... soon he'll be able to have lessons...then we're in trouble!

What do you call a person who hangs around with musicians....

...a drummer!

Go for it Punkypossum, drums are cool.

I played the drums in the Boys' Brigade many years ago and really enjoyed it, but was never interested in playing in a band.
Now (well, maybe soon, in a few years) I'd like to learn to play the Bongos and other percussion-type instruments, something like Michael Palin did with those HUGE Japanese gong things.
I agree, drumming is cool! :tongue:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Abitrary said:
In the meantime, learn a paradiddle with your fingers, pencils, or whatever.

The paradiddle is like reversing around a corner for a drummer
Have you tried a rimshot, Abitrary? :tongue::ohmy::ohmy::biggrin::ohmy::biggrin:

Bigtallfatbloke

I am in the middle of auditioning drummers...strange bunch...but mostly they show signs of humanoid behaviour!

...seriously, any parent whose kids have the urge to beat the carp out of buckets need to be aware of the availability of Electric drum kits....

col

Legendary Member
I used to be in a pipe band a long time ago,and always enjoyed the drum lads routines,very impressive stuff,especiallly when they incorporated tapping each others drums and sticks in a routine,thats if you mean military side drums too?

Globalti

Legendary Member
I thought this was a thread about industrial packaging.....

I've just started reading the Robert Millar book, and thought this thread was trying to encourage us to light fires at the roadside for a brew!

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
What's the difference between a drummer and a drum machine?
You only have to punch the rhythm into a drum machine once.

But I guess you're talking about group drumming. In the Lancaster yellow pages, the only local shop is Jalapeno Drums, 2 Graham St, (01524) 63577

but the bigger adverts are for the national (?) suppliers:
www.drumwright.co.uk
www.drumshop.co.uk 0191 495 0201

abchandler

How do you know there's a drummer at the door?

Because the knocking speeds up and slows down, and he doesn't know when to come in

Top Bottom