anybody listen to Zane and Westwood...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

got-to-get-fit

Last night.

I can’t stand the pair of them but i was travelling from the North West to the North East and had no CD's in the car.

Anyway they were doing a countdown of the 30 movers and shakers in Hip Hop. Normally that is a genre i give a wide berth but after 1/2 an hour i was hooked and a bit peeved when my journey ended.

So i have now sort of discovered Hip Hop and am planning on buying my first CD of the genre this week ....might go for 'NWA...straight outta Compton' to start out with.

I know that this is not the sort of thread that this forum is used to but the two DJ's talked so passionately about the music and explained its intricacies so well that i was just reeled in.

Anyone else have an interest or have been persuaded to try a music genre that is normally completely left field for them.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I've no problem with that genre choice... but Westwood is just a complete prat, IMO. If ever anyone was so desperate to be born black, he's da man. :rolleyes:

GentleBenn

Veteran
Gtgf, I'm into Hip Hop , been into it since I first heard the Sugar Hill gang, got some NWA, and a compilation album with tunes from the early 80's thru to the 90's, that might be good to start you off.

The Hip Hop Collection by Kiss is a 2 CD Album

The History of Hip Hop by Warner music 3 CD Album
Good mix ,see who or what you like Dawg !:rolleyes:

Melvil

The three CDs that really got me hooked on hip-hop/rap were:

1) Liquid Swords by GZA (out of the Wu Tang Clan - great album with samples from the cult film Shogun Assassin weaved through)
2) Illmatic by Nas...a slow burner that just grows on you. The man's rhythm and timing are impeccable.
3) A Lo Cubano by Orishas. All in Spanish but great tunes and loops.

OP
OP
got-to-get-fit

got-to-get-fit

GentleBenn said:
Gtgf, I'm into Hip Hop , been into it since I first heard the Sugar Hill gang, got some NWA, and a compilation album with tunes from the early 80's thru to the 90's, that might be good to start you off.

The Hip Hop Collection by Kiss is a 2 CD Album

The History of Hip Hop by Warner music 3 CD Album
Good mix ,see who or what you like Dawg !;)

i think the whole show was because of the anniversary of the release of sugar hill gangs ....rappers delight.

I remember that when it first came out and was hooked as a kid ....i also loved white lines....cant remember who did that tho.

ill keep a look out in HMV ext time im there .

Hows the H+S stuff going by the way??? did you get the e-mail?

Will1985

Über Member
Westwood is a tool. He's forgotten his real roots!

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
got-to-get-fit said:
i think the whole show was because of the anniversary of the release of sugar hill gangs ....rappers delight.

I remember that when it first came out and was hooked as a kid ....i also loved white lines....cant remember who did that tho.

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five IIRC. Great tooooon!! :ohmy:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I bought Raising Hell by Run DMC many moons ago - still a great album, does this still count as Hip Hop though???

<< goes to fire up Spotify and revisit his youth >>

GentleBenn

Veteran
got-to-get-fit said:

Yes got the e-mail thanks, unfortunately we've been put on a 4 day week in work so no chance at mo of them putting me on the course, and now i dont want to shell out for it myself just yet !

If you've got a spare memory stick you could post it to me and I'll put the albums on it for you,if you like ?

Let me know and I'll PM my address to you !

Top Bottom