Anybody scared of heights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Yes you do - within your risk boundaries.

They perceived the risk correctly within theirs. An evaluation was made. They completed the climb without incident.

Can't see a problem there.

No they don't , no they didn't, and the outcome does not justify the decision in a probabilistic world.

Point made. End. Bon chance.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I saw a fab programme on a guy called Mustang Wanted, a urban free climber from Ukraine. Fascinating. I'm a climber but I like my harness and ropes, plus a bit of decent pro to help me along. My keyring is a pink tri-cam (there is poetry written about those things). I would never urban climb, or free climb for that matter, but I am fascinated by those films.

For the record, I'm not that fond of heights but I have learned that nothing exists below foot level, so that's ok then. I only climb up to about an E2, anything more than that just freaks me out.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I saw a fab programme on a guy called Mustang Wanted, a urban free climber from Ukraine. Fascinating. I'm a climber but I like my harness and ropes, plus a bit of decent pro to help me along. My keyring is a pink tri-cam (there is poetry written about those things). I would never urban climb, or free climb for that matter, but I am fascinated by those films.

For the record, I'm not that fond of heights but I have learned that nothing exists below foot level, so that's ok then. I only climb up to about an E2, anything more than that just freaks me out.

@Saluki

I've always been fairly ok with heights although occasionally I have had a few wobbles over the years. And even now if I haven't had a decent dose of exposure for a while I can still get the jitters and have to calm myself down!

I've never climbed beyond around Severe and that was in my younger days and tbh that was about my limit.

Over the years my appetite for risk has diminished and I no longer winter climb (ice) although I am partial to the odd hack up a steep snow climb.

Similarly I have not been out on a Klettersteig or Via Ferrata for the best part of a couple of decades now - my favourite climbing ever.

I still scramble these days, mainly 1/2 and occasionally 3/3S but that's about it for me - I am less flexible and not as strong as when I was in my prime. Cest la vie!

I guess as you get older that 'mortality' thing kicks in a bit harder too.

The tower climb in the OP does look like fun although I'd definitely slip a harness on (might need a larger size these days) at my time of life - those young buggers move around like Geckos!

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Which reminds me of this non-studio shot

Lunch-atop-a-skyscraper-c1932.jpg
I can`t even clean my upstairs windows, I just shake like a jelly!

Top Bottom