Anybody work in the catering/hospitality industry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Do you own or manage a pub, cafe, restaurant, hotel, etc.?

Do you keep a keen eye on industry news?

if so... how?

Do you buy a monthly magazine, follow blogs, tweets, industry specific forums or 'news' websites, use Google alerts or RSS feeds maybe?

I'm asking as i have to present a digital marketing strategy for a virtually unknown product as part of an upcoming job interview... and want to leave no stone unturned.

:smile:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
You could start by showing them some pictures of Nigella... :smile:

:thumbsup: Just bumping your thread up a bit so someone might put a proper answer :thumbsup:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Thanks for the mention, @classic33 :blush: I'm too low in the ladder to deal with digital marketing, new products are usually given to me with a "sell this" order.
I know all about direct selling, nothing about marketing.
What I do to keep up with new products and or trends?
I keep my eyes open for new catering establishments in town, stop to read their menus, network with others working in the industry. Get to see lots at shows like "the good food show", work in them, don't have to actually visit.
@MontyVeda there is an industry magazine I know of, the Caterer.
Really I think your question needs an answer from somebody more managerial than I :smile:

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Thanks for the mention, @classic33 :blush: I'm too low in the ladder to deal with digital marketing, new products are usually given to me with a "sell this" order.
I know all about direct selling, nothing about marketing.
What I do to keep up with new products and or trends?
I keep my eyes open for new catering establishments in town, stop to read their menus, network with others working in the industry. Get to see lots at shows like "the good food show", work in them, don't have to actually visit.
@MontyVeda there is an industry magazine I know of, the Caterer.
Really I think your question needs an answer from somebody more managerial than I :smile:
thanks for that Pat. Much appreciated.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes, I'll be manning one of the Costa coffee stations. Come say hi ^_^
Is that another tax you're avoiding paying. Working for Costa.

Berties

Fast and careful!
Staff canteen is a good website covers many bases and so is chefs forum,we get a copious amount of trade mags fall on the mat,and never really get taken from their wrappers,the best editions are the sponsored sales mags from small suppliers ,I get them from harvest foods and coastline produce,use twitter to keep a eye on local promos etc,to be honest trade tweets get boring in the end un less they have fire in their belly,promotion and advertising is part of my weekly remit ,if you want to explore your question more pm me

You could start by showing them some pictures of Nigella... :thumbsup:
Like this?

IMG_7702.JPG

Oh Nigella, sorry! :tongue:

Do you own or manage a pub, cafe, restaurant, hotel, etc.?

Do you keep a keen eye on industry news?

if so... how?

Do you buy a monthly magazine, follow blogs, tweets, industry specific forums or 'news' websites, use Google alerts or RSS feeds maybe?

I'm asking as i have to present a digital marketing strategy for a virtually unknown product as part of an upcoming job interview... and want to leave no stone unturned.

:smile:
The national body for the licensed trade (as in pubs, clubs etc) is the British Institute of Innkeeping.
The majority of small cafes and restaurants won't be a member of any national body but information on hygiene is available from the Food Standards Agency. In practice however, small businesses tend to get hygiene advice from their environmental health department.
I think the main body governing the likes of hotels is the British Hospitality Association. There are all sorts of accreditation schemes for the hotel sector.
There is an industry magazine called Curry Life which is produced for the Asian catering sector.

Top Bottom