anyone been fracked recently ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Licramite

Über Member
Hi
Just wondering if anyone has found themselves suddenly in the kill zone of proposed fracking sites?

me in peaceful Wiltshire have found myself in the middle of 4 blocks - being offered (without consultation to those that live there- before offering the licenses) to fracking companies.

And of course they have been taken up (by a company from wales - were fracking is banned , but it could have been a company from France - were fracking is banned )
Bizarrely the license is for coal bed methane extraction - which is a dirtier version of fracking - which also relies on the existence of coal seams - which unless something's changed geologically since the 2004 geological survey, don't exist in our area. - which (not being a conspiracy nut ) begs the question - what the frack are up to?

of course my MP is a Tory lap dog and will believe any rubbish the government are pedaling about cheaper energy costs, fuel independence (hello we are tiny Britain what we produce won't make any difference to global markets were gas is sold) and of course he doesn't live in the areas under threat.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this dumped on them

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Hmmmph - presumably that is an incorrect license and so cannot be used? But what the frack do I know?

Drago

Legendary Member
Why are they even bothering. Why crude oil prices so low (and being deliberately kept low to try and kill off the fledgeling fracking and shale-oil industries) why the hell would anyone want their relatively expensive product?

OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
The c
Why are they even bothering. Why crude oil prices so low (and being deliberately kept low to try and kill off the fledgeling fracking and shale-oil industries) why the hell would anyone want their relatively expensive product?
mighty good question - Governments timing is perfect, just as oil prices crash they push for fracking.
they really arr pushing it to , they are prepared to change the law, side step opposition by taking it out the planning system in the face of their own policy on localism (you get more protection be devolved like Scotland and wales) (hmm what happened for englands devolution?)

the anti- government feeling is rife because of this , yet they press ahead. even when fracking companies are pulling out.

one does suspect maybe they just want big deep holes to stuff the French nuclear waste into.

There's a license around ours in the estuary. Esther McVey was slightly disingenuous about the planning permissions they might need, in fact she changed what she was saying about it, which is probably one of the reasons she lost her seat here. There's huge opposition to it but so far nothing has happened.

Drago

Legendary Member
Wouldn't bother me either. After all, I'm directly or indirectly consuming fossil fuels so im in no moral position to complain about their extraction.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Fracking for Gas..not coal

Dave7

Legendary Member
Close to where I live (Woolston) there is a camp set up to fight it. Some relatives are dead against Fracking and are supporting the camp.
TBH.........for me the jury is out. You just cannot tell who (if anyone) is telling the truth so I can't bring myself to support/oppose it just yet.

gbb

Legendary Member
Still a fossil fuel though...
You'd be forgiven for thinking the lunge for non fossil fuel sources has left us short...therefore requiring more fossil fuels, possibly less attractive than coal at a local level.

Drago

Legendary Member
Don't worry though, any sensible government will be backing renewable technology with subsidies to encourage both development and deployment.

Oh, hang on...

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
fracking for methane, whether it comes from shale or coal seam its all methane.

and its all lots of water - lots of very polluted water - (apart from the minor earthquakes) - all wells leak adventally - and the don't heal up. - so once they have sunk the well through your underground water supply its just a matter of how much pollution over how long escapes into it. - your water supply will be forever polluted - then its just a matter of waiting to see what effect it has on people.
people living close to the site will be subject to lots of air pollution, - and I say site , fracking requires well sites every kilometer within the area its fracking - a frack well only has a range of about 1 1/2miles.

and for what ? - a very short term boost to the exchequers coffers. It won't change gas prices, it won't provide fuel independence.

If your in the kill zone its really do you want to live near a petro-chemical plant with all the joys they bring.

Top Bottom