Anyone been to Egypt?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

edindave

Über Member
Day trip to Cairo is enough to fit in Pyramids, Sphinx, Citadel, and Museum.
Stay in Luxor? Balloon trips, trips to Valley of the Kings, Nile Cruise?
Make it a two-centre holiday and go to Red Sea, Sharm-El-Sheik?
V Hot in July. November is nice. 30 deg C ish max.

D

Deleted member 1258

I have done the Nile cruise.
I won it through a work incentive a good few years back. Prior to the hol it was something that interested me, but didn't desire to go. Having done it, I can say that if you get it right, it is a real experience.
There is so much to be said in terms of advice that I am sure many posts would stretch for some time!
If you do the sight seeing option, then make sure you choose the organised tour with guides etc.
I would do it again in an instant :smile:

+1 on the Nile cruise, for our 25 wedding anniversary our kids treated us to a Nile Cruise, started at Luxor and went down as far as the Aswan Dam and then returned to Luxor, seen the valley of the kings and a lot of temples. Excellent holiday, if we go back we would want to see the pyramids.

Ste T.

Guru
About 20 years ago I was on holiday in Luxor, doing the tourist thing. On a trip to the Valley of the Kings in a coach party when this old guy stood next to me said" I was here in 1943"
He looked around the hot desolation and barren rocks then said
" It hasn't changed much" :biggrin:

JDP

Andiamo
Went on a cruise down the Nile a few years ago.

Wasn't too keen at first but my g/f really wanted to go and I have to say that it was one of the best holidays I've had.

Luxor and Karnack temple are amazing and the sense of history was quite was quite amazing.

Definitely worth it.

SimonC

never fancied egypt for some strange reason, my dad always says when he was stationed there they use to fry eggs on the pavement ???

Wouldnt be in a rush to go back to pyramids, or Cairo or Egypt for that matter, saw them on a free day whilst working in Alexandria. Egyptian museum quite interesting, but a bit same-y after a while. Havent been to Red Sea resorts though

Much more interesting places to visit in middle east - Damascus for one, bit exciting at the minute though. Lebanon also worth visiting.

Fiona N

Veteran
You'll hardly get hassled at all in Jordan. The only downside is that Amman is nothing special compared with Damascus or, I'm sure, Cairo. The best holiday would be a few days in old Damascus then hop over to Amman, one day there then head for the Dead Sea, Petra, Wadi Rum and Aqaba. The whole area is so small that you can get around quite efficiently.

I had a great holiday with my Mum a few years ago based initially on the Red Sea coast with trips to St Catherine Monastery, a local mountain (Mt Sinai - nice walk in the dark to see the dawn) and other nice trekking locations, then ferry across to Jordan to visit Petra, Wadi Rum and Amman area to finish. I guess neither of us wanted to spend large amounts of time on the beach (although Mum wasn't a northern blond like me so the sun wasn't a problem) and the combo of walking with evening swims was really good. Petra was spectacular and I don't think we really missed seeing the pyramids. I would have liked to visit the Cairo Museum but it was Mum's first 'developing world experience', and she was quite elderly, so I thought Cairo was a bit full-on for a first trip. Sadly we never got to do another one.

Top Bottom