Anyone been to Egypt?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My daughter's nagging us to go to Egypt on holiday. I'm not concerned about 'the risk', but I have heard that it's either the pyramids, which look like the pyramids, or a bit of a 'nothing special' beach holiday...but you can't really have both unless you're prepared to pay through the nose. Has anyone been? Any thoughts?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The Red Sea has some of the best snorkelling anywhere, and the museum in Cairo is well worth a few hours of anyones time. As are the pyramids.
IIRC, if you stay on the Red Sea it's a long day trip to 'do' Cairo, but it's possible. I think it's possible to see luxor and the valley of the kings too, but as a separate trip.

John90

Über Member
Agree with The Doctor. I went for a week two years ago with another family and split the time between Red Sea (great for snorkelling and for the kids) and Cairo which we flew to. Going back again this October (Red Sea and Luxor). Plenty of good deals now apparently - and it was excellent value for money before.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I went to Cairo and hated it; dirty, disorganised and the noisiest place I've ever visited. Give me a nice cool clean deserted Scottish beach any time.

Durian

Über Member
I would definitely recommend seeing the pyramids and the museum in Cairo and then heading down to Luxor to see the Valley of the Kings. If time allows then get down to see Aswan aswell and then you could make a trip to Abu Simbel.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Go to Jordan, enjoy some gentle Palestinian hospitality and delicious food, drive down to Wadi Rum and see the beautiful desert scenery, stay a night in the desert and hear the Bedouin singing to the stars, then go to Petra and experience the astonishment of your first sight of the Treasury as you approach on horseback down the Siq. Jordan

Don't waste your money on Egypt.

Durian

Über Member
Go to Jordan, enjoy some gentle Palestinian hospitality and delicious food, drive down to Wadi Rum and see the beautiful desert scenery, stay a night in the desert and hear the Bedouin singing to the stars, then go to Petra and experience the astonishment of your first sight of the Treasury as you approach on horseback down the Siq. Jordan

Don't waste your money on Egypt.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Petra is awesome!

Panter

Just call me Chris...
We went in April.
Our sole reason (pardon the pun) was to see the Red Sea fish and corals.
Great if you're into that (as we are)

Couple of piccies I took if you're interested:

DSC_0549.jpg

DSC_04402.jpg

DSC_0147.jpg

DSC_0569.jpg

gbb

Legendary Member
Seen both sides of Egypt, working and holidaying.
Like all resorts, there's good aspects and bad.
I didnt get inside the pyramids at Giza (just a quick visit before flying) but it didnt impress me. Its nice to 'tick it off' but be prepared for some serious hassle from the guides and avoid the visit to the perfume museum. Its not a museum, its a shop the guides will try to take you to, its hard hard hard sell. You get swamped as before you even get in the complex. You need a steely attitude, everything costs the earth, horse and camel rides etc etc.

As Global says, its a dirty noisy insane city but i kinda enjoyed that. You get a headache just sitting in a taxi as a passenger. 5 lanes of cars trying to jostle for position in 3 lanes of road, it really is insane.

Sharm is ok, as The Dr says it has the best snorkelling ive ever ever seen. That was the highlight for me. Astounding.
The beaches at Sharm itself were'nt that good IMO, too busy, but we used a beach a few miles up the road. 1 mile of sandy beach bordered by coral and plenty of cafes and bars. much quieter, much nicer. I'd go back just for that, brilliant.
The Egyptians are hard sell merchants, you do get hassle but keep smiling, keep saying no and keep walking. Dont get invited to sign their visitors books, its just a ruse to get you in their shop, then the hard sell starts.
Steely attitude. Its the only way.
For all that, they're phenomenally friendly, working there i saw that much more when you're not a tourist.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks all. Fantastic pics, Panter! I'd love to go to Jordan, but you know what kids are like. They've heard of Egypt. Pyramids 'n that. Personally I'd prefer to go to Petra, but...

Anyway, like I say, thanks - very helpful tips & info.

PBancroft

About a decade or so ago I went on a trip to Jordan and Egypt (booked through Joules Verne).

Jordan, by and far, was the highlight, but it was nice to do both in the same trip, even if it was a whistlestop tour. If you can find something similar that would be my recommendation.

And Petra on horseback at sunrise... beyond cool.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You'll hardly get hassled at all in Jordan. The only downside is that Amman is nothing special compared with Damascus or, I'm sure, Cairo. The best holiday would be a few days in old Damascus then hop over to Amman, one day there then head for the Dead Sea, Petra, Wadi Rum and Aqaba. The whole area is so small that you can get around quite efficiently.

2PedalsTez

Über Member
I have done the Nile cruise.
I won it through a work incentive a good few years back. Prior to the hol it was something that interested me, but didn't desire to go. Having done it, I can say that if you get it right, it is a real experience.
There is so much to be said in terms of advice that I am sure many posts would stretch for some time!
If you do the sight seeing option, then make sure you choose the organised tour with guides etc.
I would do it again in an instant :smile:

Flyer5

Hi
We went last year in november. We stayed at sharm right opposite the old market. The hotel was immaculate and service was superb.
The hotel had a boat that took you too thier second beach across the bay for snorkelling.
We took a day trip by air to the pyramids. This was arrranged through thomsons and although itvwas a long day (4am start) it was well worth it. Our guide for the day was great,
The people are friendly but you need to accept thier culture is not ours, they do try to entice you but be polite smile and say no and they leave you alone.
We would go back tomorow. Youll have a great time. If you want a list of suggested dos and donts just ask!and get some waterproof dusposable cameras !
http://gavsphotos.co.uk/Egypt 2010/index.html
Theres some photos of the reef on there.
We stayed at the iberotel palace.
Gav.

Top Bottom