LBS been greedy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
8 weeks per chain ? Is it bad for sand around your way ? I commuted for a year on a 1x 10 speed set up and replaced the chain once

I commute on a 2x10 set up. In all weathers. Approx 7000 miles in that time. I change the chain and cassette once a year. The chain may need changing way before that time but not wasting time and money doing that when it still runs perfectly well.
Once a year service, chain, cassette and cables.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
8 weeks per chain ? Is it bad for sand around your way ? I commuted for a year on a 1x 10 speed set up and replaced the chain once

2000 miles was good going for a chain when I was commuting, heavy, powerful, high gear grinding rider out in all weathers. Now I'm a more casual rider and tend to avoid poor weather I'm not picking up so much abrasive sheet they go a bit longer, but am still doing well to see a 3 at the beginning of the new-chain-required mileage.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
2000 miles was good going for a chain when I was commuting, heavy, powerful, high gear grinding rider out in all weathers. Now I'm a more casual rider and tend to avoid poor weather I'm not picking up so much abrasive sheet they go a bit longer, but am still doing well to see a 3 at the beginning of the new-chain-required mileage.

im similar couple of chains and at least one cassette a year on the commuter, these gravel muddy flooded pot holed lanes eat my drive train

presta

Guru
they also don't have the diseconomies of scale
All the experience of history says otherwise. The big companies have economy of scale, and any small ones who make anything people actually want to buy either have to grow or get taken over by the big ones.
who wants to be selling £250 bikes
That's what killed off the UK motorbike industry, along with most other consumer goods. UK manufacturers sneered at the "cheap rubbish" from Japan, and scoffed that they don't need to compete because "we make superbikes", then they found that the Japanese could make superbikes as well. The issue is not who wants to sell £250 bikes, it's who wants to buy them. Cyclists like us are only a tiny fraction of the market. There are even people who will chuck a bike out and buy new just because it needs a new tyre or has a puncture.

Look at small-volume up-market supercars for example, they're full of components poached off mass produced cars because development and the tooling to make them is expensive, and they don't have the volume to amortise those fixed costs. They use fibreglass bodies for the same reason: the fixed costs are lower than for the press tools to make steel. I recall seeing a motoring journo cooing over the expense and luxury of a turned aluminium gear knob on a supercar. Not having any understanding of engineering, he couldn't see that it had an aluminium gear knob for exactly the same reason that a Ford Fiesta has a plastic one: it's cheaper! The fixed cost of tooling to make injection moulded plastic components is prohibitively expensive without sufficient quantity to amortise the cost. (Conversely, turning every one on a lathe is too expensive if you're making millions.)

Any bike shop who wants to "make" bikes is in the same position. They're not making them at all, they're just assembling parts made by the big companies like Shimano, and I can assure you that Shimano are not going to give them the same price as they offer to a big customer who's buying thousands or millions of times the quantity.

Britain will continue to import labour and export jobs until the wealth difference that's driving the process reduces (unless Brits decide they're willing to work for the same wages as someone in a Far Eastern sweatshop). The UK had its chance to be more competitive decades ago by investing in automation to improve productivity, but we chose not to. Now it's too late, and everyone else has left us behind, so we try to rationalise it with nonsense phrases like "post-industrial economy".

The economic superpowers of the next century will be the Asians.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
What do you mean by an "840"? A Garmin Edge 840? Or is there something else called 840?

An Edge 840 is about £450 btw.

No it’s not it’s £399 at Sigma Sports and they have to pay crazy money to Matt “chat” Stephen’s.
I’m letting it slide this once only, I’m not having it again, I’ll tell you that for free.

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
My LBS used to Price match Sigma, wiggle or who ever really. They’re charging £50 more for an 840 than Sigma. Now I’m all pro support your LBS but £50 is £50 which is a lot in these tough times. Screw those guys I’ve spent thousands over the last 5 years with them. I don’t blame people for shopping around on the internet. The LBS is making loads of money with the workshop always fully booked out at £30 p/h. They sell a lot of E-bikes at 5 to 8 grand a pop. Have their own warehouse. For what they’re charging you could get the higher model for almost the same price online.

Bye.

The solar powered one? Which is on Sigma for £490?

I don't think you can claim to be supportive of your LBS but ditch them because they're charging more for a product. Either buy from them, or don't; comparing a small local shop to somewhere like Sigma (other online retailers are available) isn't fair.

vickster

Legendary Member
My LBS used to Price match Sigma, wiggle or who ever really. They’re charging £50 more for an 840 than Sigma. Now I’m all pro support your LBS but £50 is £50 which is a lot in these tough times. Screw those guys I’ve spent thousands over the last 5 years with them. I don’t blame people for shopping around on the internet. The LBS is making loads of money with the workshop always fully booked out at £30 p/h. They sell a lot of E-bikes at 5 to 8 grand a pop. Have their own warehouse. For what they’re charging you could get the higher model for almost the same price online.

Bye.

Sigma is also an LBS, albeit a rather posh one with a large online operation alongside

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

I don't think you can claim to be supportive of your LBS but ditch them because they're charging more for a product. Either buy from them, or don't; comparing a small local shop to somewhere like Sigma (other online retailers are available) isn't fair.

Just for the record, Garmin RRP for the standard device only 840 is £449.99. 840 solar is £519.99

Obviously you can get them cheaper if you shop around. (But not at @Milzy 's greedy LBS.)

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru

No I asked for non solar as there’s no point paying all that extra with UK weather. £399 at LBS Sigma. Run and ride were even cheaper but sold out.
If I turn up and they ordered a Solar for £450 I’ll eat humble pie & delete this thread and start a new one about my LBS is very reasonable.
Good day.

Top Bottom