LBS been greedy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
My LBS used to Price match Sigma, wiggle or who ever really. They’re charging £50 more for an 840 than Sigma. Now I’m all pro support your LBS but £50 is £50 which is a lot in these tough times. Screw those guys I’ve spent thousands over the last 5 years with them. I don’t blame people for shopping around on the internet. The LBS is making loads of money with the workshop always fully booked out at £30 p/h. They sell a lot of E-bikes at 5 to 8 grand a pop. Have their own warehouse. For what they’re charging you could get the higher model for almost the same price online.

Bye.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Bike shops have been going bust right left and centre over the past two decades. That has been happening because they have had to reduce their prices to an unsustainable level to try and retain the custom that has gone to the huge internet retailers. Now the latter are disappearing those who have survived are once again in a position to trade at a realistic profit.

It's no use moaning about five to eight grand for an e-bike unless you know how much they have had to buy them in at. And £30 per hour labour? Try finding a plumber, electrician or locksmith who doesn't charge more than double that for an hours work.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
My brother worked in an LBS for a while last year. There were lots of reasons why it wasn't going to be making a profit (lots of crazy things going on) but there were certainly examples of suppliers selling them bikes at a retail price of X and then discounting them to less than X on their own websites. There's no way an LBS can make a profit on that - especially when they also have to spend time setting the bike up and doing a free six-week check later.

PK99

Legendary Member
My LBS used to Price match Sigma, wiggle or who ever really. They’re charging £50 more for an 840 than Sigma. Now I’m all pro support your LBS but £50 is £50 which is a lot in these tough times. Screw those guys I’ve spent thousands over the last 5 years with them. I don’t blame people for shopping around on the internet. The LBS is making loads of money with the workshop always fully booked out at £30 p/h. They sell a lot of E-bikes at 5 to 8 grand a pop. Have their own warehouse. For what they’re charging you could get the higher model for almost the same price online.

Bye.

Buy online, by all means. Save the £50.

But when the LBS closes, don't come back here and whinge.

suppliers selling them bikes at a retail price of X and then discounting them to less than X on their own websites. There's no way an LBS can make a profit on that - especially when they also have to spend time setting the bike up and doing a free six-week check later.

BIL involved in an LBS in Newark. Tells the same Thinks it’s come about because they ramped up manufacturing during the COVID cycling boom and then had massive overstock when it all collapsed afterwards

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I dont think £50.00 more is being greedy as they have more overheads than an internet retailer. Plus if you buy it from them you will get a free first service and they will sort out any issues for you.
I've not bought a bike from a LBS for years but I will support them in the workshop and buy the odd item. You cant blame customers for doing the best for themselves in tough times. But then obviously bike shops, like all shops go.

Blimey. I tip my butler a fifty for popping to the LBS for me!
Tight-@rse!

Good morning,

I suspect that the reason they are fully booked is that at £30/hour it is a bargain ...... if you want or need to have someone to do the work. :-)

For a retired person with a pension running a "hobby business" that is a decent income but for an LBS that is a Service To The Customer rate, they are to be applauded for it, provided that they are not doing it to drive the competition out of business.

My brother worked in an LBS for a while last year. There were lots of reasons why it wasn't going to be making a profit (lots of crazy things going on) but there were certainly examples of suppliers selling them bikes at a retail price of X and then discounting them to less than X on their own websites. There's no way an LBS can make a profit on that - especially when they also have to spend time setting the bike up and doing a free six-week check later.
I get the fact that a McDonalds burger outlet is pretty much guaranteed to succeed whereas being an independent burger outlet is much harder, so selling a brand is at first glance a safe bet, but why are they selling such bikes rather than assembling their own?

At every level except the very, very top an independent can buy all the bits they need to make a bike at the same level as say a Trek or Specialized. Yes, this does require commitment of both capital and time but if the retalier is not making this commitment what does he have to offer other than a lower price? It could be customer service, but is that likely if they have already shown a lack of interest in assembling thier own bikes?

Ribble for example did it for years before deciding to sell up to new owners who are trying to make it a brand, Dolan do fine, as do SPA and SJS so there are bound to be plenty of others.

Once you get into assembling your own bikes not only can you sell the customer exactly what they want, you start to hold in stock items that a customer who already has a bike wants and it becomes harder to compare prices as the specs are not the same.

I like 8 speed yet nowadays pretty much the only way to get a new fully assembled bike would be to buy a bottom of the range machine, yet for many people 8 speed is the tipping point between cost, reliabilty and usefulness.

I'm commuting on a 10 speed and resent the fact that I need a new chain every 8 weeks, given the cost of 10 speed chains and cassettes going mail order is very enticing. Had a local shop offered me what I wanted bikewise then I would have bought the bike and the consumables from them, but as I didn't get what I wanted locally bikewise I see no reason to pay full RRP for consumables from a shop that doesn't stock the bike that I wanted.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

figbat

Slippery scientist
Are they being greedy or just trying to stay in business? I doubt very much they are adding a premium to sales just for the sake of it. They need to cover their operating costs and make a margin. It’s naive in the extreme to believe that all cycling retail outlets have the same cost base and can therefore compete on the same terms. Or that they are obliged to cost match against the lowest common denominator.

Top Bottom