What oddly addressed mail has successfully been delivered to you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not Mail but email. There is a man in America who has named his son the same name as me and we all share the same surname. He sometimes emails me instead of his son by mistake as it’s a .co.uk vs .com difference. I’ve had some corker emails over the years; some bordering on inside trading!

I have an email address which is firstname.secondname@me.com. There was someone else, in the USA, that had firstnamesecondname@me.com (no dot between the two names).

I was busy one day so failed to notice a series of emails coming in, started of nice and getting more irate with each one after. The gist of the story is a husband and wife had a disagreement before he left for work. Wife sends and email to the wrong address, gets no reply, and becomes more and more angry as each email seems to get ignored. It was at the threats of divorce stage before I spotted them.

I replied pointing out I was not the intended recipient and hoped she got that before her husband came home and walked into hell. 😂

bruce1530

Guru
My home address occasionally causes problems for some computer systems resulting in my address not being accepted when placing an order or being converted into something different when sent.

Today is a first when this arrived. It should read 6/2.

A pal lives in the second flat on the first floor of a tenement building, so flat 1/2. The building address is something like 109 High St.

He once had a telephone call from an online supplier, querying his address. "Do you really stay at a hundred and nine and a half High St?"

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
As a former posty, part of my duties was to decipher some really poorly addresses items, we had the use of the Electoral roll tooom up addresses , some we just couldn't figure out whom it's addressed to. And there were some really bizzare addresses., somevhxd a kind of clue to whom it was meant for,, if it was a description of the location, , we would pass it round, someone might have known.
But in reality, all is required is the house number ,then the postcode, if for example 6, SS1 3RS, then that is enough to deliver, it's the postcode that is the important part, the code. Breaks down to minimum of 10 to 20 property's, say for instance Smith SS1 3RS then it's a strong possibility it will get there, or it did in my day.
Not so sure it would happen now with all the penny pinching going onby the post.

I'd echo this. When I was a postie we took pride in delivering letters with obscure addresses. I had one - "Jean, 4 or 5 doors down from the Toll Bar, Methil"

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My parents received a letter from German clinic, after I'd been attacked by a dog, addressed to :
London 100 Elcim SE9

The actual address was 100 Crookston Road, Eltham Park, London SE9

Dave7

Legendary Member
Slightly off topic but for many years we got a christmas card......right address, completely wrong name. Unfortunately there was never a return address so I couldn't let the sender know.

But in reality, all is required is the house number ,then the postcode, if for example 6, SS1 3RS, then that is enough to deliver, it's the postcode that is the important part, the code.
This breaks for me. There are two number nines within 50 feet in my postcode, one of them a closed shop.

freiston

Veteran
But in reality, all is required is the house number ,then the postcode, if for example 6, SS1 3RS, then that is enough to deliver, it's the postcode that is the important part, the code.
This breaks for me. There are two number nines within 50 feet in my postcode, one of them a closed shop.

. . . but do they both have the same or different postcodes?

freiston

Veteran
I vaguely recall some scheme, well before the privatisation of Royal Mail (80s/90s), dreamt up in the HoC or thereabouts, of shifting or combining the Land Registry over to/with TV Licencing/Royal Mail. A major but false premise in the argument was that land subject to title and postal addresses amounted to the same thing and TV Licencing already had a register of all UK addresses.

presta

Guru
Some years ago, my bank statements arrived addressed like:

Mr XY Presta,
c/o Mr Presta
123 Acacia Avenue......etc

So I phoned the call centre to get it changed, after which it arrived addressed:

Mr XY Presta,
c/o Mr Presta Mr Presta

I then went onto the website and corrected the address details myself, after which it arrived the way it's been for the last decade or so:

Mr XY Presta,
c/o Mr Presta Mr Presta Mr Presta

I've just looked online, and editing the address details is no longer a DIY job.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Back in the day we had a party in our shared house, and a load of friends had stayed over, sleeping in the lounge afterwards. In the morning a letter arrived by post seemingly addressed to one of our guests. I realised at once it must be for a long ago former resident, but handed it to the similarly named guy anyway. He was baffled that anyone knew he was there, and had sent him a letter rather than to his own house, then found it was a letter from a TV rental company complaining that no rent had been paid for the TV for several years, which utterly confused him. I was giggling to myself by this time, as he though it was some kind of bizarre prank.

Our TV barely worked, only two of the three colour guns worked and to make it work at all we'd stuffed a wooden spoon in the back to hold a dry joint in place. We had no knowledge of where the TV had come from. Anyhow we ignored the letter being quite content for the repo man to come and get the thing as it was nothing to do with us and was fit only for the dump

Last edited:
Top Bottom