What oddly addressed mail has successfully been delivered to you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My home address occasionally causes problems for some computer systems resulting in my address not being accepted when placing an order or being converted into something different when sent.

Today is a first when this arrived. It should read 6/2.
IMG_0220.jpeg

What oddly addressed mail have you received?

freiston

Veteran
Many years ago, before computerisation is what it now is, I had a postcard successfully delivered with this address, hand-written:

My Name
Opposite Q of ♠​
Name of Town

Some details anonymised but it wouldn't take a genius to work out at least some of it.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My postcode on some systems comes up with No5 xyz Road where I do not live. The number is correct but not the street. Fortunately the regular postman delivers it to me regardless but a stranger delivers it to the wrong house. The owner there is aware of the problem and hands it back to them but they then take it back to the post office. Since I am expecting a parcel I then have to go to the post office and collect it.

Not Mail but email. There is a man in America who has named his son the same name as me and we all share the same surname. He sometimes emails me instead of his son by mistake as it’s a .co.uk vs .com difference. I’ve had some corker emails over the years; some bordering on inside trading!

grldtnr

As a former posty, part of my duties was to decipher some really poorly addresses items, we had the use of the Electoral roll tooom up addresses , some we just couldn't figure out whom it's addressed to. And there were some really bizzare addresses., somevhxd a kind of clue to whom it was meant for,, if it was a description of the location, , we would pass it round, someone might have known.
But in reality, all is required is the house number ,then the postcode, if for example 6, SS1 3RS, then that is enough to deliver, it's the postcode that is the important part, the code. Breaks down to minimum of 10 to 20 property's, say for instance Smith SS1 3RS then it's a strong possibility it will get there, or it did in my day.
Not so sure it would happen now with all the penny pinching going onby the post.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
As a former posty, part of my duties was to decipher some really poorly addresses items, we had the use of the Electoral roll tooom up addresses , some we just couldn't figure out whom it's addressed to. And there were some really bizzare addresses., somevhxd a kind of clue to whom it was meant for,, if it was a description of the location, , we would pass it round, someone might have known.
But in reality, all is required is the house number ,then the postcode, if for example 6, SS1 3RS, then that is enough to deliver, it's the postcode that is the important part, the code. Breaks down to minimum of 10 to 20 property's, say for instance Smith SS1 3RS then it's a strong possibility it will get there, or it did in my day.
Not so sure it would happen now with all the penny pinching going onby the post.

I once tried this, it was delivered.

classic33

Leg End Member
Sent a postcard from Ireland, using only a UK postcode and dawn in the address panel.

It got there, on only the second attempt, on the same day. He'd tried next door first.

Got a parcel delivered using
Mr C.33, somewhere up North

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
All the lawyer’s bills, late payment notices, final warnings and other assorted threats sent to the deadbeat that last lived in our house over 27 years ago.

You think they would catch on by now.

We still get a nasty voice message from her lawyer on the answering machine at least once a month as well.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
All the lawyer’s bills, late payment notices, final warnings and other assorted threats sent to the deadbeat that last lived in our house over 27 years ago.

You think they would catch on by now.

We still get a nasty voice message from her lawyer on the answering machine at least once a month as well.

For years I used to get post for the previous owners here. As the company was selling products for the elderly - hearing aids - you'd have thought they'd have realised that their former customers may have died in the ten years since they last bought one.

The people must've been members of an American church too as stuff from them came for years as well.

If I ever move away I think I'll sign up for lots of junk mail before I go :laugh:

Top Bottom