Anyone been to Japan before?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@Flying_Monkey will be your man for that information.

Yup. Hard to do on your own if you don't speak the language. Train station and airport signage is impossible to read and it frustrates the hell out of you.

I have this one very good tip for you but it requires a preamble.

I developed severe (I mean severe) diarrhea when over there to the point where the skin on my hand stayed up as a little pyramid when pinched and pulled. Quickly try that on your hand and you'll see that you are not dehydrated. Anyway, I seeked medical advice but it was impossible to communicate with the doctor. She had no idea what the various hand signals I invented for diarrhea and vomiting meant and remained puzzled. Eventually someone found a Casio translation gadget and gave it to me. Unfortunately I could not spell diarrhea properly and the gadget gave me no help in finding the right word. The next "session" from my body gave the game away eventually and I was put on a drip and given some powerful stuff that blocked me up until two weeks ago (I visited in the 1990s).

Therefore, my advice to you is: learn to spell diarrhea.

Yeah, it's nuts. Half with a local acquittance that acted as a guide, half without. Without was almost impossible to do anything if outside main tourist areas.

I remember going into a restaurant. Nothing in English (not expecting it, don't worry), nobody spoke English. Menu was just a sea of symbols.

We just randomly pointed out 5 things from across the page. Plenty of muttering but then duly brought what we ordered I remember getting soup, 2 plates of vegetables and some desserts. Tasted nice though!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
@Hitchington - PM with some specifics, I'll be happy to help.

And ignore the person who was going on about diarrhea - whatever faults it may have, Japan has some of the highest standards of hygeine and the best food in the world.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 3770094, member: 45"]Japan is an island nation in the Pacific Ocean with high-rise-filled cities, imperial palaces, mountainous national parks and thousands of shrines and temples.[/QUOTE]

PM not MP

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
In general terms, October is a great time to visit as it's when the leaves will be turning - April being the other really good time (cherry-blossom season).

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Three fun things to do for cyclists:

Cycle Tokyo - it's insane, but the drivers are very polite compared to Britain. In the warmer months, cycling at night in Tokyo is a whole lot of fun.

Ride over the Japan Alps. There are some seriously good road climbs in Japan, many of them almost completely empty. Hokkaido, the northern island, also has great cycing and really good facilities (special cyclist's B&B accomodation, for example).

Go see the Keirin Racing in Kawasaki city - it's a very odd world, a bit like going to the Dogs in Britain - all dour middle-aged men smoking furiously and betting hopelessly - but on huge-thighed men on bicycles instead of greyhounds.

*Bear in mind that getting your bike anywhere is tricky if you aren't actually going to ride - trains are great in Japan, but they don't take bikes at all. Planes and long-distance buses generally can, if you have them boxed up.

@Hitchington - PM with some specifics, I'll be happy to help.

And ignore the person who was going on about diarrhea - whatever faults it may have, Japan has some of the highest standards of hygeine and the best food in the world.

That "person" is me. Why ignore an anecdote that neither aimed to insult or intended to be a comment on Japanese hygiene? My main point was that venturing out without a guide is frustrating. Keep your insults to yourself.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
My three favourite neighbourhoods to visit in Tokyo:

Yanaka - remnants of old Tokyo: twisty lanes, little shops, temples and graveyards, easy to walk or cycle to from Ueno, where the major art galleries are.
Harajuku-Jingumae- Aoyama - three fashion districts in one area, from teen tat to high-end
Shinjuku - my favourite of Tokyo's multiplicity of retail areas, just don't get lost in the station...

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
That "person" is me. Why ignore an anecdote that neither aimed to insult or intended to be a comment on Japanese hygiene? My main point was that venturing out without a guide is frustrating. Keep your insults to yourself.

Cool your jets, mate. There was no insult. But it is not that helpful to someone who is asking for advice on Japan to tell them your very personal story of diarrhea as if it were some general feature of Japan that they should watch out for.

Top Bottom