Anyone been to legoland?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Never, never, never (never) pay the full entry fee - use Tesco clubcard or the various vouchers that seem to be attached to most things.

WRT the rides (they are pretty pants) try to plan ahead on what you might want to go on before you get there.

Get there as early as you can and head for the far end first to minimise the crowds.

The queueing for the popular rides can become quite horrific for something that is over in a flash.

Go once for the novelty but don't go again.

Maz

Guru
Once you're in, are the rides free?
Edit: Just read User482's post, but that was Denmark.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
If you're into the Lego then the original Danish Legoland is the place to go. Legoland Windsor is just a lot of rides with a vague legoey theme. I used to take Bolletta as a treat when she was about 3 or 4, but my last visit on an inset day about 4 years ago was a hellish nightmare. Judging by the trip advisor reports, it still suffers the same problems. Getting there is a bugger as well.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Just about to book this, but never been before.
Price is steep at £39 per child. Use the kelloggs cereal vouchers, if you have any ('adult goes for free with paying child'), this offer doesn't apply for online purchases, so to get in at the gate for a family of four, would be £78. There's a waterpark thing there too, so take swimming costumes, assuming weather is warm enough (or is it indoor? dunno)
Remembering your kids' ages from the Bournemouth post,you might be better going somewhere like Thorpe Park, just south of heathrow. It's another Merlin joint so the vouchers might be valid, and it's geared more towards teenagers. The organisation is much slicker than legoland. The queues can get long but nearly all the rides are mental.

Reactions: Maz

Maz

Guru
Remembering your kids' ages from the Bournemouth post,you might be better going somewhere like Thorpe Park, just south of heathrow. It's another Merlin joint so the vouchers might be valid, and it's geared more towards teenagers. The organisation is much slicker than legoland. The queues can get long but nearly all the rides are mental.
I love mental rides but my teens (14 and 17) won't do this stuff, despite my encouragement. They're either too nesh or fuelled by teenage apathy.Youngest (7) will like it, I think.
Wanted to go for a beach holiday... What did the kids say? 'Boring'. I give up sometimes.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Avoid the M4 junction 7 and the A355 especially if your getting there for opening time it's horrific especially now the holidays are in full swing. Plenty of back routes with less chaos. And admire the view of Windsor Castle Heathrow etc as you go in the entrance as its all down hill from there literally :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Love Legoland Windsor. The rides are my size. I don't get off going 'feck me what just happened' like was Nemesis this year, despite I had never ridden it in the 20 years it had been built. Dunno, riding a bike at 60mph is more fun than a roller coaster at about 55

Only my kids have got me on these things. Started with Legoland, and I was terrified of the jungle coaster. Got off with it first time as daughter too small (she was gutted), second time not, had to ride. Found it was taken down due to noise as residents complained.

The hotel and Atlantis is there now.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There is a Legoland Windsor fans and advice site, just google it, but as has been said, don't come in from Windsor. You have just one main road, so drive round to get there via the Ascot direction.

It's good stuff, you just have to go with the flow. The new Duplo Splash area is fantastic. The old splash area was good fun, but the expansion is great. The kids won't care. If you've forgotten anything, there is a shop. Cost me nearly £20 for a new Animal swim top for my son. Oh well. This has been one of their best memories from the last three times they have been.

Maz

Guru
Went to Legoland earlier this week. To say it was busy would be an understatement. Big queues to get in, big queues for the rides, etc. Kids loved it, even the teens, but I think that was more to do with the fact their cousins were with them at the same time. Splash area was a big hit for the youngest.

Personally, I would've much preferred a beach somewhere...even Bournemouth!
Maybe next time.

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I visited yesterday, and it was very busy.
I paid extra for the Q-bot and that helped with the queues, but it did add £45 to the day!!
The kids loved it, so as a once a year treat it's an acceptable cost.
As said above, you can far more bang for your buck at the beach or park, but young kids dont see the finance side of things.

Top Bottom