Anyone been to Nairobi?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
And do you have any opinions on what it would be like to cycle in?

I understand leaving the city may result in me being eaten by Lions or something, but I wonder what it would be like to ride around the city itself? My friend who has invited me there doesn't ride a bike nor knows anyone who does recreationally which might suggest it's not a very cycling aware kind of place, but that's all I know really.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Lots of people cycle in Nairobbery. It is a common enough method of transport for some.

I've tried it, on visits there, to the terror and disgust of my co-workers; a European on a bike will attract a certain amount of perhaps unwanted attention from some of the locals.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Here is what the UN say in their orientation materials for new in-country staff

While Nairobi may lay confident claim to being Africa’s most multicultural city, it must also admit to harbouring its most glaring wealth disparities.The burgeoning slums of Kibera may well be Africa’s largest – and, to the uninformed visitor, are also probably its most dangerous.While Nairobi’s warm weather and cool altitude make jogging,walking or cycling an inviting prospect, newcomers must remain aware of the risks inherent in such activities, and should take sensible precautions before venturing out (see Chapter 4). Poor road conditions, lack of special lanes and unpredictable driving standards make cycling a particularly dangerous pastime in Nairobi, while many of the city’s parks and open spaces have sadly become the preserve of ruthless criminal gangs.

asterix

Comrade Member
Lots of people cycle in Nairobbery. It is a common enough method of transport for some.

I've tried it, on visits there, to the terror and disgust of my co-workers; a European on a bike will attract a certain amount of perhaps unwanted attention from some of the locals.

Parts of the UK are like that. I cycled from Kings X to Croydon a couple of times. Although I am not strictly a European being a native of Africa.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Not Nairobi, but I've been to Mombasa, and ridden a bike there.

Compared with walking, a bike is a great way to get around. On foot, a muzungu attracts panhandlers by the score, and they get to be a nuisance. With a bike, you can just leave them behind.

Other cyclists, and there are many, will be interested and want to talk about your bike; it's a great way to meet people. Many will want to buy your bike*. Lots of folk make their living by hauling around improbable loads on ancient chinese singlespeed roadsters made from girders and reinforced with extra bits of wrought iron (seriously!). Shanty town bike shops are an amazing resource of low-tech industry - those guys can fix anything (but probably don't carry many Campag 11-speed spares. In fact the spares store is usually a pile of dead bikes on the verge outside).

On the road it's a clear case of always defer to anything bigger than yourself. Lorry drivers will simply run you over if you don't get off the road, and it will have been your fault.

Take loads of water; it gets really hot.

*When you arrive in Kenya, customs will want to know how much you think your bike is worth so that if leave the country without it, they can charge you the appropriate import duty. They'll stamp your passport and write in the amount.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I think that, in conclusion, I might not be taking my bike. I've read some other interesting accounts that back up statements here suggesting that Nairobi is not exactly bike friendly and in fact openly and murderously bike hostile! Along with riding around Nairobi, a considered plan to ride from Nairobi to Meru country to where my friend is from (about 60 miles or so) would probably be ok, as long as I'm confident I can outrun a cheetah and am prepared to carry a gun :wacko:

I guess I'll see what it's like when I get there, and if my fears are unfounded then perhaps rent one somehow - although haven't yet found any way of being able to do that yet.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
yep as a lad

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've been to Nairobi many times, I am a fearless cyclist but I would NOT cycle there. The residential part of the city is mostly hilly and Kenyan maintenance being what it is, most trucks and buses emit massive clouds of greasy black smoke as they labour up hills. The flat bits are around the centre, the park and stadium, the industrial area and the Uhuru Highway and Mombasa road, all areas with a bad reputation for robbery so I wouldn't do it. Taxis are easy, convenient, reasonably secure and air conditioned. When you arrive at the airport look for Kenatco taxis, they should be getting a fleet of new Passats this year.

To visit your friend arrange for a car with driver, I wouldn't advise you to drive yourself because if you are involved in the smallest incident the cost to your pocket will be massive, you being a wealthy decadent white man and all that. There are plenty of Kenyans who will drive you around for a day for some dollars, ask at your hotel.

Doseone

Guru
I'm going back about 15 years but Nairobi was our first stop on a bike trip down through the rest of Africa. It wasn't the easiest place to cycle, but we rode in from the airport, rode round the city and lived to tell the tale. Although it was busy, I seem to remember it was better than Dar Es Salaam but not as good as Lusaka!! We were on Mountain bikes and the guys at the airport thought they were motor bikes!! Oh yeah, lots of people want you to give them your bike, but none tried to take it. Go for it and take your bike, and enjoy a Tusker baridi in the Yellow Green Bar if it's still there.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm going back about 15 years but Nairobi was our first stop on a bike trip down through the rest of Africa. It wasn't the easiest place to cycle, but we rode in from the airport, rode round the city and lived to tell the tale. Although it was busy, I seem to remember it was better than Dar Es Salaam but not as good as Lusaka!! We were on Mountain bikes and the guys at the airport thought they were motor bikes!! Oh yeah, lots of people want you to give them your bike, but none tried to take it. Go for it and take your bike, and enjoy a Tusker baridi in the Yellow Green Bar if it's still there.

When I first went to Nairobi 28 years ago it was the nicest city I'd seen in Africa. Nairobi's problem is that the main cross-Kenya highway runs right through the middle of the city as the Uhuru Highway and as traffic volumes have increased exponentially the centre has gone from bearable to atrocious. Even in 15 years you'd be shocked; the place is filthy, choked with exhaust fumes, solid with blocked traffic and only in the last couple of years have the city authorities finally agreed to steal less money and divert some funds into building some new roads although those are all out towards the more residential areas; the city centre, industrial area and Mombasa Road are still a nightmare. The ring road is making slow progress and they were just building the bridge at the intersection with the Mombasa/airport road last time I was there in November.

Accra isn't so bad, the traffic lights have bulbs so the queues move in fits and starts. Kampala is very hilly and is as congested as Nairobi, another absolute nightmare. Last time I was there it took 90 minutes to drive the few kms from the industrial area to my hotel the Serena, I was ready to jump on a Boda-boda motorcycle but that would have meant abandoning the poor bloke who had volunteered to run me back to the hotel.

Top Bottom