Anyone been to Shiraz?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I visited Shiraz in 1973 but, apart from drinking a lot of tea, I'm afraid I can't remember very much about it.

Brains

Legendary Member
Now that President Batshit Crazy is in the White House my plan for a cycling holiday in the USA is on hold.

I've been looking at alternatives and I've got quite an interest in Persian history and culture. So the plan is forming for a three centre holiday to Iran - flying out to Tehran, spending a few days there before moving on to Esfahan for a few days and then to Shiraz. The plan is to take Boudicca for use in and around the cities, and to take the trains for the longer distance travel.

I've been to Tehran and Esfahan before, and know what I want to do and see in those two places. Has anyone been to Shiraz and got any suggestions (other than the usual TripAdvisor / Lonely Planet suggestions)?

Get an Iranian stamp in your Passport and you wont be permitted in to President Batshit Crazy's country anyway.
(British Football chappie, who played one exhibition match there several years ago was on his way to the Caribbean was stopped in transit and sent back to Dubai last week)

Skuhravy

Veteran
I can't think of anything I want to see again in Shiraz. The surrounds were really interesting though, especially the ruins around Firuzabad (about 100 km south). About 10-20 km south of Shiraz, just before a 5km climb, there's a popular picnic spot where the locals invited me over for tea and snacks.

Can you travel independently as a Brit there these days? I thought it had changed since I was there (2011/12)

Top Bottom