Anyone changed from a iPad/tablet/laptop to a Cromebook?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Anyone done this and what are the pros and cons? Plus any recommendations for hardware?
Ill be using it mainly for web, watching films, YouTube and emails. Needs are a good screen and clear loud audio. My iPad is poor on the last one.
I’ll be buying here which means most of them won’t be the latest models, usually at least two years old.

We have a family laptop that's expensive and my wife needs it for her work.
I wanted one just for me so I don't need to work around her.
Bought an Acer Chromebook for £160 and couldn't be happier. Huge battery life. Instant start up.

You might need external speakers or headphones for the best sound though. I don't think any laptops are great for that.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Not changed from an apple product, but bought Mr WD a chrome book. Its a lot easier and simpler to use than our old Sony Vaio. He always had trouble with it ( not tech savvy) and needed something that was idiot proof. He likes it.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Been using an Acer Chromebook for years and couldn't be happier.
Use a 2012 MacBook Pro for work which has no reached the time that it no longer does apple updates due to it's age so might be getting replaced at some point.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Been using an Acer Chromebook for years and couldn't be happier.
Use a 2012 MacBook Pro for work which has no reached the time that it no longer does apple updates due to it's age so might be getting replaced at some point.
Thanks for that.

You might be interested in this about updating an old MacBook Pro to Ventura. You'll need to upgrade the ram to 8GB and change the HD to a SSD. Don’t know if you like tinkering.
I know nothing about Macs but thought it may save you a few quid and give you a usable machine again.

View: https://youtu.be/7sz0Red_HN4

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks for that.

You might be interested in this about updating an old MacBook Pro to Ventura. You'll need to upgrade the ram to 8GB and change the HD to a SSD. Don’t know if you like tinkering.
I know nothing about Macs but thought it may save you a few quid and give you a usable machine again.

View: https://youtu.be/7sz0Red_HN4

Thanks for that but it means nothing to me

tom73

Guru
How olds the iPad ? Newer models inc Speaker upgrade we've no issues even iPad mini 5th ed is good audio considering its size.
With a price point of Chromebook's your not likely to get great audio and display on same machine.
Maybe worth staying with what you have and using the money to buy an home pod mini and use airplay.
Sound is not on a pair with our HomePod but the mini's we have still packs a punch.

Dadam

You might need external speakers or headphones for the best sound though. I don't think any laptops are great for that.

Very few laptops are. However I'm a recent Macbook convert and I'm blown away by the latest M1/M2 machines.
Disclaimer: this isn't me saying "get a mac" in response to OP's "looking for a chromebook". :blush: I appreciate there's a slight price differential! :ohmy:

That aside, the speakers on recent macbooks are phenomenal. I first had a Macbook Pro i7 16" from work, stunning machine but serious £££, but the speakers were incredible, I really don't know how they do it in a chassis a few mm thick, they sounded like separate hifi speakers but obviously not as loud. After that I bought myself a Macbook Air M1. By a country mile the best laptop I've ever used, and I've used a lot over the years. The speed is like little else in Windows world and the battery life of chromebook. It has no fan so it's utterly silent. Speakers on this are smaller than on the bigger Pro so not quite as good but still very good.

Dadam

Tom73 makes a good point. If you're happy with the screen on your iPad, have a look at bluetooth speakers. If you don't need a smart speaker (HomePod, Google Nest, Alexa) a decent generic speaker will be as good for much less wedge.

Get a good pair of BT headphones. I got a claim code for a pair of AKG over ear headphones with my Samsung A50 or A70 phone. Didn't think of get them but I did after 3 weeks. They're great for sound. If I wear them turned off I can't hear much outside. Also if I take them off and hang them around my neck or take them off they stop playing!

Anyway, imho speakers or good bt headphones are better options than worrying about getting good speakers. They're never that good! Mine have all the latest dolby tech, one had B&O speakers too. They're all mediocre!

Doesn't chromebook stop being updated after so many years from date of manufacture? Basically if you buy a very good deal it could be a new chromebook with a significant chunk of this update lifetime gone. Aiui you they do minor updates and in a longer time period major updates. If you get a major just before the deadline time you can get a bit more life but after the first major update after your deadline you're living away from a secure chromebook. Not sure how much of a risk that is.

BTW pcworld near us had a chromebook for £89! Very cheap!

Psamathe

Many say Chromebooks are very simple/straight forward to use. For many/some this relates to how they work and what they are looking to do. Fewer options and less configurability means you can't do as much and/or you work the way the machine/apps want you to work. Some are not bothered by this (or don't even notice) others are.

If sound is a major issue with the iPad, as others have said, Bluetooth speakers are available from cheap to expensive with a wide range of quality and functionality. You chose what you want/want to pay. And I've found they work well.

Ian

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, Ive used headphones with the iPad @Time Waster it's good but they're really too hot for here and the in ear type don't come close.
Chromebooks have end date but last significantly longer than phones. Cheap Chromebooks are just not worth it IMHO.
Can't understand the premium Apple want for a mini over the bigger sizes @tom73 . My iPad air has a great screen but I would like larger. Apparently the Google pixelbook Go has a great screen and audio but no longer made, although still available. Updates until 2027.
Maybe I'll try some blue tooth speakers.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

tom73

Guru
Yes, Ive used headphones with the iPad @Time Waster it's good but they're really too hot for here and the in ear type don't come close.
Chromebooks have end date but last significantly longer than phones. Cheap Chromebooks are just not worth it IMHO.
Can't understand the premium Apple want for a mini over the bigger sizes @tom73 . My iPad air has a great screen but I would like larger. Apparently the Google pixelbook Go has a great screen and audio but no longer made, although still available. Updates until 2027.
Maybe I'll try some blue tooth speakers.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

Not sure it is a premium even though its way smaller it's still got a lot packed into it. If you think the HomePod makes for better value then the HomePod was brought back to life this week. So you may get lucky and find an original HomePod going cheep due to some upgrading to new one.

DRM

Guru
I have an iPad 5th generation, the speaker is really good, and is still getting updates, so a 2017 introduced model, I don’t think chrombook’s last that long, but a Bluetooth speaker is a good shout, Sony do some very good ones for a reasonable cost, and they’re loud

Top Bottom