Anyone cycle into central Birmingham?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wooger

I could do with route advice from some more experienced commuters.

The route I have is fine most of the way, from Kings Heath in the south, mostly along the Rea Valley route.
Once I get to New Street station though, the current tram line work and road closures make it very complicated to get across the centre to Church Street / Colmore Row.

What’s the best route?

I feel like it’s going to be nearly impossible to the last half mile to work once the Christmas markets appear again.

alicat

Legendary Member
Just walk - it's a quarter of a mile at most.

It’s purgatory on a bike. I used to think riding into central London was ‘interesting’. Then I tried Brum. There are some nice outlying routes, but when you get to within about a couple of miles of the centre, :ohmy::wacko::eek:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Erm, all the best. This has been the subject of numerous posts and rants, most of which I think were on the now defunct Birmingham Cylists forum. There are options, but none are great. The German Market and the tram lines makes it all worse. There is a recommended cycle route through, but has more "cyclist dismount" points than a particulary vicious Cyclocross course.

You can take the canal round to Newhall Street, but you have to negotiate Brindley Place. You could also go up Digbeth High Street, Carrs Lane or Priory Queensway and by the Weslyan, although that isn't perfect either.

AlanW

Guru
A combination of those dam awful tram lines (even better when wet!) and people just walking in the road makes it an absolute nightmare!

OP
OP
W

Wooger

I have SPDs, still would prefer to cycle the whole way. The Xmas market is now being installed in Victoria Square, so that route is basically gone - will brave the tramlines despite it being probably not a legal route.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have SPDs, still would prefer to cycle the whole way. The Xmas market is now being installed in Victoria Square, so that route is basically gone - will brave the tramlines despite it being probably not a legal route.
Just walk if you have recessed cleats. Why risk your life :wacko:

Top Bottom