Anyone cycled in southern Italy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
We've decided Morocco risks being very hot, so have shifted our plans to Puglia - a week touring in the 'heel' of Italy. Has anyone cycled round there and can offer any handy hints & tips? (I'm going to post this in the cafe as well, but I thought it was worth posting it here too.)

Thanks for any help and advice you can offer.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The wine is very good!

I cycled for a day in Tuscany in October (15 years ago) and it was still very warm.

I don't know the region you're going to, but I'd suggest that communication might be difficult as away from the industrial north and other major towns and cities, English is not widely spoken.

Body language and a few basic words/expressions should help, but I found Italians to be very friendly and helpful, if they could be.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I cycled in southern Italy - went through Puglia. It was very stressful - very bad driving and the roads are fast in places. The Gargano is unmissable, though. I much preferred northern Italy.
Hmmm. That's disconcerting. Thanks for the heads-up.

andym

Über Member
I've spent many months cycling in Italy, as well as Spain, France, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Slovenija and the UK, and I've not experienced any difference in driving standards either between countries, or between northern and southern Italy. Most drivers are considerate and courteous, but you get the occasional knob-head wherever you go. I think your choice of road is the most important factor in determining whether the ride is stressful or not: the important thing is to plan your route so that you avoid the busier roads.

You don't say when you are planning on going. I have been in Puglia in April when it was warmer in London. Best times are April-June and September-October. Winter is iffy: temperatures are mild but it can be very rainy (ie pretty much the same as anywhere around the Mediterranean). There isn't actually a huge difference between the weather in northern and southern Italy - the weather in Italy often seems to be either determined by weather systems from northern Europe or weather systems from Africa.

My impression is that English is pretty widely spoken, at least in places that are even vaguely on the tourist map. I say 'impression' because as I speak Italian I'm not the best person to judge.

There's a route on my site that you might be interested in:

http://italy-cycling-guide.info/cycleways-cycle-routes/coastal-rides/puglia-tour/

Sardegna is also really nice. I was there this summer but haven't had a chance to write it up. Other possibilities are Sicilia, the coast of southern Campania or the Apennines in Abruzzo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've spent many months cycling in Italy, as well as Spain, France, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Slovenija and the UK, and I've not experienced any difference in driving standards either between countries, or between northern and southern Italy. Most drivers are considerate and courteous, but you get the occasional knob-head wherever you go. I think your choice of road is the most important factor in determining whether the ride is stressful or not: the important thing is to plan your route so that you avoid the busier roads.

You don't say when you are planning on going. I have been in Puglia in April when it was warmer in London. Best times are April-June and September-October. Winter is iffy: temperatures are mild but it can be very rainy (ie pretty much the same as anywhere around the Mediterranean). There isn't actually a huge difference between the weather in northern and southern Italy - the weather in Italy often seems to be either determined by weather systems from northern Europe or weather systems from Africa.

My impression is that English is pretty widely spoken, at least in places that are even vaguely on the tourist map. I say 'impression' because as I speak Italian I'm not the best person to judge.

There's a route on my site that you might be interested in:

http://italy-cycling-guide.info/cycleways-cycle-routes/coastal-rides/puglia-tour/

Sardegna is also really nice. I was there this summer but haven't had a chance to write it up. Other possibilities are Sicilia, the coast of southern Campania or the Apennines in Abruzzo.
Thanks very much - that's really helpful. My friend had already found your site, and we were thinking in terms of following your tours 7, 8 & 9.

We're looking to go in the last week of September, BTW.

One question - do you find accommodation as you go, or do you book ahead? The freedom of booking on arrival is obviously appealing, but the prospect of having problems finding somewhere, or having to pay a fortune is less so. Might camping be an option?

andym

Über Member
Yes camping is definitely an option. Although keep an eye on campsite closing times - occasionally you find campsites that close mid-September.

When I stay in hotels/B&Bs I generally use Booking.com and book say a day or two ahead. Most places should be quiet as the main Italian holiday season is August, but there might be exceptions if it's a place that's popular with northern Europeans or if there isn't much accommodation. You can see Booking.com to test whether there are any pinch points (eg see what the availability is in x for next week).

Some places on Booking.com offer free cancellation but the deadlines can differ so you need to check - and make sure you don't forget to cancel if you need to.

andym

Über Member
Other hotel sites are available, but my impression is that the large majority of Italian hotels and B&Bs (not to mention hostels) are on 'booking'.

I generally use the 'special requests' to say to the owners that I am travelling by bike and do they have a place to keep it overnight. I've never had a problem as most places have a store room, or garage or something.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
We plan to use airbnb for the first night, but had presumed it's probably not much cop for staying tonight sort of deals. The ones I've been looking at seem to be booked up already for most of September.

Top Bottom