Anyone doing the Up the Uts 200?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Camrider

Not sure this is wise, but I'm doing this as my 1st 200k ride. Just dawning on me that at my pace I will probably be doing the last 40k or so after sunset.

Any other "plodders" doing this one or am I likely to find my self all alone in the dark? :ph34r:

Still at least I do have 100k and 150k bailout options on this route if it all gets too much. :surrender:

Alberto

Hi Camrider,

LucyBP and I are doing this ride, will only be our second 200 and we're not super speedy. We're also riding into the night, so more than welcome to tag along!

OP
OP
Camrider

Camrider

Thats most kind of you Alberto, my average riding speed on the few 100k's I've done is around 21kph so if you are not much faster than that I should be able to keep up :bicycle:

Tynan

Veteran
I was planning to ride a very slow initial 100 with the wife and then the second 1oo on my tod but didn't fancy riding the last 50+ in the dark and then home, country lanes ain't that much fun in the dark imho especially when sir is a bit knackered, based on riding home from the SEG75 through some very dark windy lanes in Essex, even with a decent front light

regular 10 for me for this one

OP
OP
Camrider

Camrider

Certainly riding solo in the dark is not much fun which is what I'm concerned about, but riding with a couple others is not so daunting, so if Alberto's offer still stands I'll give it a go otherwise I would probably switch to the 100.

Mind you I've got to survive a 150k this weekend first :huh:

OP
OP
Camrider

Camrider

Great! we are riding a white canyon and a white boardman, so will see you at the start

For contrast I will be on a matt black Thorne (probably the only Rohlhoff geared bike on the ride)

OP
OP
Camrider

Camrider

Well I got round the Shaftesbury Spring 150 ride today (160k in reality) without any problem earlier today so am now looking forward to next week.

Weather good especially PM, but lots of grit and gravel on some of the lanes, and a few people riding skinny tyres had problems to today including 3 riders coming off and quite a few punctures. Glad I was using nice fat 26 x 1.75 rubber.

Heavy rain forecast for Sunday which will probably bring more of this stuff down off the fields.

OP
OP
Camrider

Camrider

A big thanks to Lucy and Alberto for helping to get me round in 11 hours yesterday, somewhat quicker than I was expecting :biggrin:

Not sure what was going on at the 1st info control (see below) as we were supposed to record the name below Halstead :unsure:

An excellent ride, and 10 out of 10 to the organisers for a really good route and a constant supply of good food especially the bacon rolls :hungry:

InfoControl.jpg

Alberto

It was a great event. Hats off to the organisers and the cooks. The weather was fantastic, as was the route itself. Shame it's only run once a year, although I believe the other clubs run a few others after the summer.

Nice to ride with you Paul, hope you can make it to the Green & Yellow fields! We're even considering joining for the pre-ride curry!

We've posted a little write up on our blog

OP
OP
Camrider

Camrider

Just submitted my entry for the Green & Yellow Fields. I love a nice biryani but not sure yet if I will be able to get away from Cambridge early enough to make the curry.

Top Bottom