1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone doing this?

Discussion in 'Sportives' started by asterix, 6 Aug 2007.

1. asterix

asterix Comrade Member

..The Phil and Friends

I haven't done it lately but did so in 2002, 2003 and 2004. It's quite tough - e.g. Winnats Pass just after lunch! - but a great ride in good countryside. ..and all in a good cause..

2. Bokonon

Bokonon Über Member

I'm intending to do it this year. Didn't bother last year as the weather was horrible.

3. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Does Phil Ligget also turn out each year or is his name just used to promote the event!!

4. asterix

asterix Comrade Member

Yes, Phil does turn out at least some years - I even shared a lunch table with him (and half a dozen others) a while back.

There are usually some fairly able riders around who share a few words before shooting off into the distance.. Whether they are pros or not I don't know but I hope so!

5. RedBike

RedBike New Member

I'm doing it. This will be my thrid attempt at the ride.

The first time Winnats proved to be too much for me and I failed to finish.

The Second time I was ready for winnats but sadly the bike wasn't; I had to retire after snapping several spokes in my rear wheel.

6. hulver

hulver Fat bloke on a bike

Thread necromancy to ask if anybody else is doing this ride this year?

I will be doing it, but I've still not decided on the 100km or the 150km route. I checked that I could do holme moss on Sunday, and I managed it. Impressive view though, I had to stop and admire it several times. :biggrin:

I've failed Winnats before, so if I do the 150km route I'll be walking most of that I suspect.