Anyone Done Fixed Wheel Conversion Using Bottom Bracket Lock Nut

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dudi

my fixie doesn't have a lockring.

I just decided on what spocket i wanted, decided i wouldn't change it and did it up super Feckin tight.

I dont need a lockring as I use a brake for most of my stopping, but I did try the BB lockring, it didn't work as there wasn't enough thread showing.
Does this only work on hubs designed for a screw-on freewheel?

Ivan Ardon

Yes, I've done it and it works fine. I've loctited the sprocket and lockring to the hub for extra peace of mind, but it shows no sign of undoing even when presented with my not-insubstantial bulk.

rustychisel

Yes, a number of times. It's known as a 'suicide hub', but that's if you're a muppet or love skidding, in which case you'll destroy your threads most likely. Since it threads on the same way and there's usually only 2 or 3 threads or so to engage, a BB lockring is fairly pointless, even for snugging down the cog, which will be feckin tight after a few rides anyway. I use them for aesthetic reasons mostly.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Yes I've done this, no problem, once you've ridden the bike a few miles after putting the fixed sprocket on it will be well locked in place, I tighten the lock ring up after a the first ride, but I don't think this was essential.

Does this only work on hubs designed for a screw-on freewheel?

Yes.

Giles

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
Many Thanks All

:biggrin:Many Thanks all, much appreciated. My real fixie has no lock rings so what you have said about not needing them makes a lot of sense.
:blush::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom