Anyone done much chainsawing???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peyote

It does sound like a big job to take on Mosschops, not the kind of thing you can do with a pair of secateurs and a band saw anyway.

By the time you've got all the training, hired the equipment, PPE and checked your life insurance policy it'd probably be easier and cheaper to get a decent Tree Surgeon in.

Though I guess if you're really out of the way from other buildings, and you don't want the trees to sprout again you could just build a fire round the bottom of each one?! Make sure you're not in smokeless zone though, and inform your local fire brigade too, green wood puts out a lot of particulates! Actually double check you're not on any major flight paths too...

...nah actually scrap that idea, it's just too silly!

sheddy

Legendary Member
Thgere was the guy who killed himself by cutting branches up the tree and throwng them straight down onto the bonfire underneath. And then the tree caught light....

OP
OP
mosschops2

mosschops2

It seems that this is a bad idea after all!! I will indeed call in the experts!!

Part of the problem Patrick is that the last lot didn't use any sort of zip lines - they just let everything fall on down!!

Which means that next time when I'm getting quotes in, I'll have to be more prescriptive, and be prepared to pay a whole lot more.....

Maybe they can wait another year!!! (Was going to wait until next April anyhow.... might be 2009 at this rate!!!)

Ben

sheddy said:
Thgere was the guy who killed himself by cutting branches up the tree and throwng them straight down onto the bonfire underneath. And then the tree caught light....

No, AFAIK he got tangled up in his own rope, couldn't extricate himself and was burned by his own bonfire. He was a tree surgeon (though don't know if he was qualified) and apart from not having the bonfire there in the first place should also have had a groundsman. But there are lots of cowboys out there so even if hiring a professional you have to be careful...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ben said:
But there are lots of cowboys out there so even if hiring a professional you have to be careful...

...and anyway, everyone knows the injuns are much better at the treeclimbing and woodcraft stuff than the cowboys....

Mosschops, you could always buy a couple of beavers, a flock of woodpeckers and a big jar of termites and let them get on with it...;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Drat.

Um..

Set them in shifts - get the termites to do nights, and the woodpeckers to do days...

See, there's an answer for everything, you just have to think it out...;)

OP
OP
mosschops2

mosschops2

Arch said:
Drat.

Um..

Set them in shifts - get the termites to do nights, and the woodpeckers to do days...

See, there's an answer for everything, you just have to think it out...;)

A fine plan. I'll just have to get working on my termite-rounding skills....

Or maybe bore some holes deep into the wood, put the termites in - as an incentive for the woodpeckers... there's an idea!!

Ben

You could kill the trees by boring holes in them and injecting a suitable chemical. The tree eventually dies and falls over. But this has to be with the same caveat as earlier - you can't do it if when the trees are shedding limbs and getting wobbly there is the chance they will take something (or somebody) out. And you might have some aesthetically unpleasing trees to look at for a few years if deadwood ain't your thing.

OP
OP
mosschops2

mosschops2

Thing is Ben - not only are the trees in some kind of blessed conservation area - I don't want to loose them completely as they do a pretty good job at blocking the view of the houses behind us.

Also passing aircraft, the sun, etc etc!!

Top Bottom