Anyone else get this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Not long bought an Ice Trice recumbent and using it a lot recently as rebuilding my two wheel touring bike. People look at you like you've just landed on the planet! The call it 'Sick so I'm either really cool or a twat not sure which. Drivers on the whole ok but a few offensive comments while out. Not convinced it will be my everyday bike yet or if it's a keeper. Loads of fun though and very quick.

Standard response from a certain section of the youthful population. You will also get:

Look at that funny bike! (Small children mostly, who like most of the population don’t register the diff between bi and tri)

Various remarks on the theme of it being lazy, usually from people who look like they may have skipped a skipping session or two in favour of pie.

‘I want one of those!’

Also the looks:

Boys: ‘I don’t know what that is and it makes me feel insecure in front of my peers because I don’t know whether it’s cool and I should say ‘sick’, or uncool and I should mock it.’

Girls: ‘That looks really interesting I don’t give a wet slap whether it’s cool or not I want to know how it works!’

A certain type of older club cyclist in Lycra: ‘Are you telling me I’m doing it wrong?’

I know what all these people were thinking because I stopped and talked to some of them!

Most of the responses I get are positive. Indeed I can only recall one motorist responding negatively but I suspect he might have had “problems”...

The best response I’ve had to my trike was riding along an icy multiuse path one winter and coming across two older ladies who were clinging to each other to stop falling over. They said in a plaintive chorus, “we need one of those!”. The path did bear a close resemblance to a skating rink!

I used to ride a TW Bents trike that got a few comments, but the best was possibly when I parked it in the town centre and walked away to hear someone say, "But you're not disabled."

I have just returned to recumbent riding with a Vision R30 and yesterday I rode it into town for the first time to do some shopping. On my way home I met some club riders coming from the opposite direction; the lead rider smiled and acknowledged me, but the rest sternly avoided any eye contact whatsoever. I can see that I will have to acclimatise myself all over again to the odd reactions that a recumbent provokes.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I think it’s sic rather than sick and it basically means cool or radical in older generations terms. It’s a good thing to hear. Means they like what you’re riding, and like like that you are riding it.

Now that millennials are reaching middle age it’s a generation Z term. The current young ones.

One of things I like about bikes and particularly recumbents. They seem to bridge any generation.

jeffoi

I get a lot of 'how much did that cost?' which I try to avoid answering (harder if stuck at traffic lights)

Motorists give me a wider berth on the trike than ever did when I was on a tourer, or even the tandem with my OH.

Get a lot of angry over-revving when the road isn't wide enough to allow for passing, especially when the space for the over-take finally appears, but it only makes me more likely to slow down (not get out of the way)

But mostly get 'wow' and gentle bibs of horns and the seldom point and laugh. Much prefer it to the always hilarious tandem comment of 'the one on the back isn't pushing'

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Been riding a trike now for five years, I was worried at first being so low down, but that was soon passed as most drivers went the other side of the road to pass me.
I've had loads of great comments from everybody and get loads of waves from all ages.
I bought it as a fun thing, but I have found it so practical it can carry so much heavy shopping without becoming unstable.

I think it’s sic rather than sick and it basically means cool or radical

No. ‘Sic’ is Latin for ‘thus’. They don’t do Latin. Or spelin. You got the meaning right tho dude.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I have been jokingly asked to get off mine so they can show me how to wheelie with it. It would be quite a miracle seeing a tadpole doing a wheelie. :laugh:

Ha ha I get asked by kids to do wheelies on my recumbent. You’re aving a laugh is the usual response. I used to be good at wheelies as a kid, several hundred metres of them. But not on a recumbent!

a.twiddler

Veteran
Can't comment on trikes but so far but my experience with the two wheeler has been positive. Certainly no aggression but plenty of smiles. Maybe the exravagant length somehow amuses them, and the seat is not as alarmingly low as many trike seats. Certainly more people have spoken to me in passing than ever have on my tourer, mostly in a pleasant way. I suppose this is the cue for my next ride to be accompanied by a hail of missiles and a barrage of insults. Oh well.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Another thing about the Linear is that it looks rather "industrial" or home made. When you ride by on a girder with a garden chair on it, odd sized wheels and no apparent handlebars, it is a lot for the average person to take in.

People expect a bike to be made out of tubes, and it isn't. The odd thing is, it is comfortable and it works! It would be hard to have to explain to the average walker or non cyclist in passing. But they seem to be mostly entertained by it, rather than having their preconceptions challenged and stirred to anger. It has been a pretty life enhancing experience so far.

Top Bottom