Anyone else knackered?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattDB

Über Member
I just wondered if anyone else has a commute that tires them out? I'm on an entry level road bike and its 6 miles each way. The way back is virtually all uphill and I've been doing this for nearly a year. Takes me about 30 minutes in and just under 40 home but at the end of the day all I can face is the sofa. I also walk for 30 mins in the am and 45 mins in the pm but I'm just wondering if others find their commute so physically draining?

andyfraser

Über Member
I don't know about feeling drained but I do feel like my fitness is going down at the moment and I don't feel like reading some much at the end of the day. That could be a combination things making me feel less energetic though.

matiz

Guru
I just wondered if anyone else has a commute that tires them out? I'm on an entry level road bike and its 6 miles each way. The way back is virtually all uphill and I've been doing this for nearly a year. Takes me about 30 minutes in and just under 40 home but at the end of the day all I can face is the sofa. I also walk for 30 mins in the am and 45 mins in the pm but I'm just wondering if others find their commute so physically draining?

I have days like that but not every day. I notice it more in the summer I dont like heat, cold I can deal with. I am an old fart in his 50's and my commute is 4 times as far. So are you eating and sleeping enough? Coud be something else, my sister reckons she has that ME or CFS chronic fatigue syndrome she was previously a very fit person. so were you fit and now feel knackered all the time or are you just now starting out on the road to fitness having previously been sedantry. How old are you?

OP
OP
M

MattDB

Über Member
20 miles + commute, I'm very impressed. I'm 32 - 6hrs sleep on a good night and I think a pretty decent vegetarian diet, I'm 6'6'' and 15 stone and always feel like there's quite a lot of me to carry around. I don't think I've been fitter in terms of endurance - used to do a lot of weights a few years back. I guess I was trying to gauge if everyone finds it tough but sounds like my commute is fairly small compared to others.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I do five miles each way. Mine's uphill in the morning - about 25 minutes on a Brompton. I'd have thought you'd have been finding it easier by now if you've been doing it for a year. Maybe you need to take a break for a few days to give yourself a rest.

"6 hours sleep on a good night" - maybe you're not getting enough sleep generally. That wouldn't be enough for me.

@MattDB, I remember reading that if you start cycling in middle age you have 5 years of improvement so there is hope! Also there is some saying that says doing the same thing gets the same result. To build endurance you need to do longer miles, maybe take a day off mid-week ( thats what I do) on the weekend do a much longer ride but lower paced. All depends on your family life with demmands on time. I have no idea about what a vegetarian diet would do on performance, I live in a household of protien junkies.

Crandoggler

Wake up feeling 85 every morning.

I used to commute 16 miles a day and felt quite good for it actually! Long evening rides at the moment.

Any reason you only sleep 6 hours. By choice? Or external factors?

OP
OP
M

MattDB

Über Member
Thanks. Re: 6 hours - after feeling tired all evening I usually go to bed and feel wide awake until about midnight then up at 5.30/6 to walk dogs before work. Maybe it is a sleep issue more than a result of commuting!

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Every now and again I feel like that especially after double shifts. Sometimes on the ride home my legs just don't seem to have to pull. I don't particularly know why either, possibly a combination of diet and wellbeing?

Biscuit

Legendary Member
I find some days are better than others. I commute 5 days a week. Friday legs defo slower than Monday legs. When I start to feel generally tired, I find a good 8-10 hours sleep for a 2-3 days in a row sorts things out. As a general rule I never bother with the TV, and that's where I find the extra time in my day.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Thanks. Re: 6 hours - after feeling tired all evening I usually go to bed and feel wide awake until about midnight then up at 5.30/6 to walk dogs before work. Maybe it is a sleep issue more than a result of commuting!
Just wondering whether at the end of the working day you're low on energy with a hill to climb on the way home. Any chance of making room for the four o'clock flapjack and seeing whether keeping levels up help you at all?

Top Bottom