Anyone else not cycling during this lock down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Let me say immediately I am not in any way suggesting we should/should not ride. I dont want to start a debate on whether its right or wrong.
After I had an 'off' a couple of weeks ago I got a nasty cut and bruised chest. My hip/groin is still tender when I do my stretches.
Anyway, after much nagging** from MrsD plus our daughter and family I agreed to pack it in until this blows over. Every day I question my decision, especially when my cycling mate sends me photos plus the lovely posts on CC.
**the well meant nagging is
a) its not fair on the NHS if you end up in hospital and
b) if you end up in hospital we can't visit you.
Difficult to argue after just having my 'off'.
Anyone else made this decision?

Last edited:

anothersam

SMIDSMe
No... but I have started wearing a helmet when riding at night. (Speaking of debates one doesn't want to start.)

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Not riding, but for a different reason. We have a dog, so with the exercise reasons being what they are, it's either a walk for him or a cycle ride for me.
Thats interesting. I never thought of that dilema.
We walk 2-3 miles each morning and we have a decent exercise bike which helps.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Still riding here :hello:

Despite being a reasonably 'enthusiastic' cyclist I don't fall off very often. Even if I do the result is typically embarrassment and some mildly painful road rash (@roadrash©) which is a long way from requiring anything more in the way of medical support than Mrs Skol telling me I am a bloody idiot!
Just last week I fell off a basketball, much to the amusement of my kids, but at the tender age of only 46 I still bounce really well for a big bloke (6' 1" & 14.5 stone), probably due in part to my daily breakfast intake of 1pt of milk which I reckon gives me strong bones?
The only serious cycling injury I have suffered was an RTA 2 yrs ago when a dozy motorist failed to allow for my presence as he was turning right at a crossroads and I ended up in an ambulance with a broken neck and fractured skull. Still walked out of hospital 3 days later (that daily pint of milk really paid dividends there!).
On the whole I think the chances of me needing NHS resources due to cycling are probably equal to or less than the risk from other daily activities so I will continue to ride my bike for now :okay:

contadino

Veteran
I'm not cycling at the moment. The NCN route is really busy and not wide enough. If I was heading out to the peaks I'd want a pint or cake stop, and they're shut.

I was walking the dogs along a pavement yesterday and a generous bloke on a bike rode past coughing. I don't want to be like him.

I have a lot going on with work and a new home, so haven't been bored, but I'm really missing the bike rides.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I am not at all and i don't understand the mentality of those that are going out on all day rides just because they can , i understand we all need some exercise and fresh air but we have all been asked to stay local and keep it down to under an hour so would do different it just doesn't make sense nobody is immune from the virus so why ???

Pretty sure our roaming french reporter @woodbutcher is not either due to regulations but can't seem to find his post .

Sure the mods will delete this or modify it but it's my thought on a question i was asked .

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I'm not cycling at the moment. The NCN route is really busy and not wide enough. If I was heading out to the peaks I'd want a pint or cake stop, and they're shut.

I was walking the dogs along a pavement yesterday and a generous bloke on a bike rode past coughing. I don't want to be like him.

I have a lot going on with work and a new home, so haven't been bored, but I'm really missing the bike rides.
A guy cycled past us a couple of days back. He was wearing a mask. As he got near us he dropped the mask, sneezed into the air and put his mask back.....selfish pillock

woodbutcher

Veteran
I am still here ...lurking in the undergrowth hoping the mods don't spot me ^_^ .
As for cycling in France , you would be very unwise to do so especially in an urban environment unless you dont mind paying large fines.
For myself l am sticking to the dreaded trainer and dreaming of better things to come .
Stay home and stay safe one and all !!

I'm in a similar situation . I have restricted my rides partly due to a crash, the first since 1970. I was standing on the pedals climbing up a gradient having just started off when a pedal fell off . Hit my head on the road , good job I was wearing a helmet although it felt hard . Felt more embarrassed than injured . Had to call my wife out to pick me up .
It was a few days later that a bruise on my inner thigh started getting larger and purple. Being a bit concerned that it could be internal bleeding as I'm on blood thinners we rang 111 for advice who put me on to an out of hours doctor. The doctor seemed more concerned about me hitting my head as there could be internal bleeding there. She advised us to go to Bath R.U.H to get it checked out . Not wanting to go anywhere near a hospital due to the current situation we said that if signs develop we will go . She said that by that time it would be too late . Nothing happened and the bruise is now fading . It does make you think of how something simple could develop into something more serious ending in going to hospital .
I haven't been out since Friday which was a short exercise ride dropping off an Easter egg to my grandson .
It is hard during this nice weather but today isn't very nice so it should be much easier to resist .

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My rides are mainly local (essential) shopping rides where I know I can lock the bike up safely, and where I only need a rucksack, or pannier, load of food. Or, local again, to drop food etc off to No1 daughter's doorstep as she is on 4 months isolation due to being immunosuppressed.

I go on walks, usually around the nearby woods and fields.

My car is only used for work.

D

Deleted member 1258

Still riding, once a week instead of my usual twice a week, but not due to the lockdown, I'm decorating and don't have the time to ride.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’m cycling every day, recently 15-25 miles. If I don’t and sit around all day, I end up extremely stiff and in pain (walking more than a couple of miles also leads to pain).
I’m sticking to empty roads, keeping well away from the pavement and avoiding shared paths as much as possible. Far less risk here due to the low levels of traffic.

As I can’t swim, get sports massage or physio, I shall continue pedalling :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom