Anyone else not cycling during this lock down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Cycling for me. Who said non Covid19 patients can't be visited if you end up in hospital?

We are in fact less likely to have an accident as there are far fewer cars on the road, so unless you fall off or are not concentrating on what you are doing and where you are going accidents should be far fewer and less likely to happen

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
DIY is certainly more likely to put you in hospital than cycling, and I would speculate that running is too. No-one is exhorted to avoid those activities.

Cycling is surely the best possible exercise from a social distancing perspective.

Avoiding cycling is an example of poor risk evaluation IMO.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Thats interesting. I never thought of that dilema.
We walk 2-3 miles each morning and we have a decent exercise bike which helps.
I've ridden 17/20 days. I see it as both my physical and mental exercise. Coping with this is stressful and I don't want to add to this by stopping riding.

However having said this your decision is the correct one. You had an off and as we advance in years take longer to mend. Good decision.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm in a similar situation . I have restricted my rides partly due to a crash, the first since 1970. I was standing on the pedals climbing up a gradient having just started off when a pedal fell off . Hit my head on the road , good job I was wearing a helmet although it felt hard . Felt more embarrassed than injured . Had to call my wife out to pick me up .
It was a few days later that a bruise on my inner thigh started getting larger and purple. Being a bit concerned that it could be internal bleeding as I'm on blood thinners we rang 111 for advice who put me on to an out of hours doctor. The doctor seemed more concerned about me hitting my head as there could be internal bleeding there. She advised us to go to Bath R.U.H to get it checked out . Not wanting to go anywhere near a hospital due to the current situation we said that if signs develop we will go . She said that by that time it would be too late . Nothing happened and the bruise is now fading . It does make you think of how something simple could develop into something more serious ending in going to hospital .
I haven't been out since Friday which was a short exercise ride dropping off an Easter egg to my grandson .
It is hard during this nice weather but today isn't very nice so it should be much easier to resist .
Don't want to start a huge debate but would offer some advice. I'm on blood thinners and suffered a subarachnoid haemorrhage in January 2019. I made a complete recovery but 70% simply die and for most of the other 30% the outlook is not good. That my body fixed itself in 4 months instead of the normal 18 possibly makes me the luckiest man on here.

Please anyone here who suffers a bad bang to the head go to hospital. The doctor was right by the time the symptoms increase the vast majority are done for. I was very lucky the ambulance got to me in six minutes.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Don't want to start a huge debate but would offer some advice. I'm on blood thinners and suffered a subarachnoid haemorrhage in January 2019. I made a complete recovery but 70% simply die and for most of the other 30% the outlook is not good. That my body fixed itself in 4 months instead of the normal 18 possibly makes me the luckiest man on here.

Please anyone here who suffers a bad bang to the head go to hospital. The doctor was right by the time the symptoms increase the vast majority are done for. I was very lucky the ambulance got to me in six minutes.
Guy I worked with had a massive one. Died in the ambulance but they got him back. He has a plate in the side of his head where they operated and it took months of intense physio to get some recovery. Probably still not 100%, but a lucky guy to have survived it too.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am not at all and i don't understand the mentality of those that are going out on all day rides just because they can , i understand we all need some exercise and fresh air but we have all been asked to stay local and keep it down to under an hour so would do different it just doesn't make sense nobody is immune from the virus so why ???

Pretty sure our roaming french reporter @woodbutcher is not either due to regulations but can't seem to find his post .

Sure the mods will delete this or modify it but it's my thought on a question i was asked .
I dont quite understand. If they can. Why shouldn't they? Or is there a restriction where they are breaking the law.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Mod note:

Closing this down as there have already been a couple of 'debate' comments in the short life of the thread despite the request of the OP not to do so. This debate is already running elsewhere on the forum and that itself was subject to a Mod note due the excessive number of reports that it generated.

Apologies to @Dave7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom