Anyone else still spending money on their 26" wheel bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
This is mine Scott tuned bike i built up, need to ride it more

20160511_131240.jpg

Gixxerman

Guru
I realise this is very old thread. However, topically I have just spent quite a bit on my 2009 26" Trek 8500 9-speed triple hardtail.
The BB was starting to show signs of play and the chain was starting to skip a bit.
I was thinking of getting rid and getting something a bit more modern as parts were getting hard to source. I did consider maybe even a double bouncer this time (Trek Remedy 8 had crossed my mind).

However, I love the bike and it does all I need and it would be shame just to give up on it.
So I threw best part of £200 in bits at it. Hollowtech II BB, middle and outer chainwheels, cassette and chain and Ti brake pads front an rear.

During the strip I found that the BB drive side was fine, but the non-drive side showed sign of water ingress. I think the old one was a Holowtech BB51 which had issues with seals. The seals were just washers covered on rubber. The BB51 was replaced by the BB52, which has proper seals.

It rides like a new bike again now.

jags

Guru
i had thorn sherpa built like a tank 599 handbult wheels.
honestly never again it was a dog on hills way to heavy .
700c are the way to go .
btw i also had a few 853 and audax bikes from thorn 700c great bikes but a tad old fashioned color crap.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Need to replace my BB on my 93 Bear Valley. Anyone know the correct size?

I'd whizz it out and measure the length. The axel length can vary by crankset - they usually recommend a specific length. What crankset is it (if Shimano there will me a number stamped on the rear of the crank arms.

Squirrel Chaser

Just about to rebuild my 26" wheel hardtail.
Hopefully get most of the service bits ok.
Wheel bearings are easy as hope hubs.
Bottom bracket is Shimano hollowtec 11 and the rest is just as easy.
Magura freeride Louise pads might be awkward...

Both of my "main" bikes are 26" wheeled MTB frames, anthough you'd have to squint to see it; they still get money invested in them, and one is about ready for a wheel replacement.

We're about to have a "mountain bike special" sale at work; all the bikes we've repaired have 26" wheels.

Top Bottom