Anyone else still spending money on their 26" wheel bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Personally as long as I can keep getting sputnik rims for 26 I will be happy. Can't see any other serious issues. The expedition is 9 speed as well :smile: And no external bearings. And not even this year's colour.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
I'm in India and the majority of the mountain bikes that I've seen here have 26" wheels and calliper brakes, most of them are single speed.

Alwaysbroken

4410130B-43CB-4040-B0A5-6E0BEE5D2349.png
This is my eldest lad, he’s a 17st rugby prop, he rolls on 26” wheels & rides an 8 year old very modified 32lb Big Hit, I have a 9 year old Trance & both bikes arnt worth a grand combined but who cares what the latest marketing jibberish tells you to ride.

Just ride :smile:

D

Deleted member 23692

Along with a continual upgrading of parts as they've worn out , My 26er has recently had new longer forks (120mm) and a slacker headset fitted that makes it longer and 3 degree slacker whilst keeping the rest of the geometry the same. It's also been stripped and re-powder coated, so it's more modern in looks and ride.

When purchased in 2011...

was.jpg

and now...

now.jpg

Why? You might ask. Whilst my 650b full-sus trail bike is great and does everything I need superbly, sometimes you just need the simple fun that can only come with a 26" hardtail.

Alwaysbroken

Along with a continual upgrading of parts as they've worn out , My 26er has recently had new longer forks (120mm) and a slacker headset fitted that makes it longer and 3 degree slacker whilst keeping the rest of the geometry the same. It's also been stripped and re-powder coated, so it's more modern in looks and ride.

When purchased in 2011...

View attachment 447242

and now...

View attachment 447243

Why? You might ask. Whilst my 650b full-sus trail bike is great and does everything I need superbly, sometimes you just need the simple fun that can only come with a 26" hardtail.

That looks so much cleaner in the singe colour, is that a satin finish?

I understand the benefits of large hoops if being cabled to the top of a long fast descent, but I’m an old fart & grew up on mud jumps, hard pack and woodland trails. That said I’m probably going to sell my old Trance as I just get frustrated at the thing I used to do that just I just don’t have the confidence or abilities to do now.

Your bike looks stunning, I’d like my van that colour too

D

Deleted member 23692

That looks so much cleaner in the singe colour, is that a satin finish?

I understand the benefits of large hoops if being cabled to the top of a long fast descent, but I’m an old fart & grew up on mud jumps, hard pack and woodland trails. That said I’m probably going to sell my old Trance as I just get frustrated at the thing I used to do that just I just don’t have the confidence or abilities to do now.

Your bike looks stunning, I’d like my van that colour too
Cheers :smile: It's a British Standard Lindern Green (BS 12 E 53), which made it easy to get fork decals made up to match. It's somewhere between gloss and satin but will become less shiny as it gets used.

clid61

Veteran
I have the same forks on my Inbred.

Were they an upgrade or did they come with the bike ?
Upgrade off a second hand cannibalised rockhopper

Can anyone actually point to any significant manufacturers stopping production of specifically 26 inch bits?

Take racks for instance.

Not aware that Tubus have stopped making their excellent racks - I recently bought a new 26 inch specific one.

Can't help but wonder if these rumours of its impending death have just been put around by the industry for all too obvious reasons.

My intention is to use my 1980's 27x1 1/4 wheeled tourer my 10 year old 26 inch wheeled commuter and my 15 ish year old 26 inched full sus disc wheeled MTB until I'm dead then pass them on if anyone wants them( the way people drive around here I'm not sure how long this will be). I need at this point a set of sus forks ideally for the MTB (still usable) and a new rear wheel for my commuter ( the wheel is well passed it's wear limits) I do wonder with some of the newer bikes whether it will be possible to use them well into the future because of parts availability, It already seems a little awkward to get sus forks in the short travel that my MTB has !

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
My intention is to use my 1980's 27x1 1/4 wheeled tourer my 10 year old 26 inch wheeled commuter and my 15 ish year old 26 inched full sus disc wheeled MTB until I'm dead then pass them on if anyone wants them( the way people drive around here I'm not sure how long this will be). I need at this point a set of sus forks ideally for the MTB (still usable) and a new rear wheel for my commuter ( the wheel is well passed it's wear limits) I do wonder with some of the newer bikes whether it will be possible to use them well into the future because of parts availability, It already seems a little awkward to get sus forks in the short travel that my MTB has !

I managed to get a set of white 26" Rockshox Recon Silver Air forks last May - for a bike I am planning to build for Mrs V

I am glad I did, as they are out of stock most places now

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Can anyone actually point to any significant manufacturers stopping production of specifically 26 inch bits?

Take racks for instance.

Not aware that Tubus have stopped making their excellent racks - I recently bought a new 26 inch specific one.

Can't help but wonder if these rumours of its impending death have just been put around by the industry for all too obvious reasons.

No, not really. Certainly the range isnt what it once was, but theres no shortage of any parts or spares, from the cheap to the top flight. I cant see it being an issue for the forseeable, and 26 may co e back into fashion as quickly as 29 dropped out of it.

Top Bottom