Anyone else still spending money on their 26" wheel bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Did you buil it up from a frame? I've got the 2017 901 on 27.5's. Love it.

Yes. Bought it from a friend for £25. It was like new and I'm very pleased with it. Will be fitting a used set of XT hydraulic disc brakes on it tomorrow.

Good price, do you know what year it's from?

I think it was around 2012. This is not my bike, but the frame is the same.

p5pb12701123.jpg

My Mid 90's Marin Bear Valley is awaiting a new chain , cassette and jockey wheels to be fitted i might even have a go at getting the original bottom bracket out and replacing it but then it ain't broke so why replace it .
Bottom bracket never been out? If so you need to sort that to regrease antiseize. May need the help of a bike shop. I almost lost a 90s bike to a seized-in BB.

ozboz

Guru
I have 2 GT 26 ers , both in bits at the mo, one is a 97' XCR , dual suss idrive, Marcozzi Bombers , Fox Vanilla on the back ,i spent on that originally couldnt part with that now ,loads of spares inc a spare idrive , my GF has a 26" Spesh Rockhopper , crackin little bike ! , after 5 years I've only ever needed to put cables on them and one front rim worn out ,

Last edited:

Alwaysbroken

Just had the rear shock rebuilt by TF Tuned, I service it & do seals etc myself but the nitrogen chamber failed.
£100 to shell out & it’s for an old 26” wheel Giant Trance. I’m sure at some point 26” will be all the rage again as trends roll around.

26 stronger, less material to less weight but main reason for me is my typical off road rides are either a plod along the riverside so nothing to gain with a larger wheel, or very tight technical descents with switchbacks and roots, I find 26” more agile.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Can anyone make a serious case that 26 inch is going to disappear/become a problem? I can't see it.

No, 26" won't disappear, for the very simple reason that at the bottom end of the market, a 26" bike can be built more cheaply than a 27.5" or 29" as it contains less material. It's also easier to engineer smaller (junior/female) sized bikes with 26" wheels because big wheels combined with small frames tend to cause too many geometry compromises.
Full-sus 29'ers are OK as weekend boy's toys but they are never going to be versatile general transports. A lot of expensive 29'er owners would also be shoot scared to leave their bike locked to some railings in a dodgy area all day, whereas I'll do it with a hack 26" without a second thought. I can also easily transport a 26" around by car just by taking the front wheel off. That means not sticking bikes up on the roof and having to worry about height barriers, or putting bikes on external rear carriers where the risk of theft/damage is also increased. A lot of 29'ers are as long even with their front wheel off as a rigid 26" is when complete!
Most riders simply have no need or desire to bomb downhill at warp speed, which is really the only type of riding where a 29" with suspension does have an advantage over a 26". Most riders just pootle about, either recreationally or for utilitarian purposes. For them, a 26" is all they need.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23692

Can anyone make a serious case that 26 inch is going to disappear/become a problem?

I can't see it.
You'll still see many 26ers in used in dirt jump, freeride and slopestyle competitions as they are inherently light and more flickable.

UK no 1, Matt Jones does all this on a 26er. As long as the sport keeps progressing 26ers have a valid and useful place :smile:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfLVVJOuY5M

Top Bottom