Anyone else struggle with Ford Fuel Fillers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Mk 4 mondeo, far and away the best car I've ever owned, (including audi & Bmw) never had a problem!!!

Never had a problem with any Ford and I don't open the bonnet on my current one apart from to put in wiper fluid now and again. Wouldn't have any VAG again.

Never heard of this "easy fill" thing.

stephec

Legendary Member
I thought the Mazda 6 was a Ford Mondeo. As is a certain model of Jaguar. I mean, put whatever clothes you like on something, but it's the same skeleton and organs underneath. Like, I'm Bradley Wiggins but with different bodywork, innit?
Mazda must know how to st the suspension and chassis up better than Ford in that case.

screenman

Legendary Member
Never had a problem with any Ford and I don't open the bonnet on my current one apart from to put in wiper fluid now and again. Wouldn't have any VAG again.

Can you get the bonnet open, that stupid lock stuck out front getting all the weather is not a good idea. One will give me trouble this week, a right pig when they seize up.

MarkF

Guru
Can you get the bonnet open, that stupid lock stuck out front getting all the weather is not a good idea. One will give me trouble this week, a right pig when they seize up.

Yep, put in key, go left, then right, up pops bonnet. As I said it's only for wiper fluid, for my VAG's it was for regular faults, they were opened so regularly that I don't think seizing would be possible on those.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
My wife has a Ford S-Max diesel and she's not had a problem. I have a Miini and the nozzle can be a bit tight. The pump also keeps cutting out if I put the nozzle too far in. I find putting the nozzle in upside down helps, not sure if that would also help your situation.

screenman

Legendary Member
Yep, put in key, go left, then right, up pops bonnet. As I said it's only for wiper fluid, for my VAG's it was for regular faults, they were opened so regularly that I don't think seizing would be possible on those.

To be honest Mark I know after 44 years in the motor trade you get good and bad in all. What VW did you own? Ford's used to give us so many problems that I stopped selling them, but I know many people who would not buy anything else.

For me the Mondeo always feel loose,
the Focus noisy, the Fiesta again noisy and the new Ka fine but the old one a rust heap.

OP
OP
Hugh Manatee

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Looks like I'm just unlucky. I have to fill up at shell stations. Some pumps seem to have an indent around the end and others don't, depending on age of the pump I think. The focus has done 120k and only gone wrong once and it got me home then.

I'm going to go for the mondeo estate I think.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
To be honest Mark I know after 44 years in the motor trade you get good and bad in all. What VW did you own? Ford's used to give us so many problems that I stopped selling them, but I know many people who would not buy anything else.

For me the Mondeo always feel loose,
the Focus noisy, the Fiesta again noisy and the new Ka fine but the old one a rust heap.
Best car I ever owned was a Mk1 Mondeo. I bought it with 60k on the clock and scrapped it six and a half years later with 163 showing. Lovely comfortable car. I had a brand new VW Lupo that clocked up 88,000 driving school miles, fantastic car but VAG dealers were woeful in the extreme.

screenman

Legendary Member
Best car I ever owned was a Mk1 Mondeo. I bought it with 60k on the clock and scrapped it six and a half years later with 163 showing. Lovely comfortable car. I had a brand new VW Lupo that clocked up 88,000 driving school miles, fantastic car but VAG dealers were woeful in the extreme.

My Passat is on 170,000 miles last service was at 80,000, had a set of pads since then though. I find there are plenty of good Indies about when it comes to VW.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Best ones I've come across are remote releases from drivers seat - Alfa and Nissan.

The last car I had with a remote 'release' from the driver's seat was a Ford Sierra. It used to stick, you had to hold the release with the finger tips of your right hand and with a bit of a stretch at the same time prise open the flap with the fingertips of your left hand.

The last Ford I had was a diesel Focus. Never had any bother refuelling.

The last car I had with a remote 'release' from the driver's seat was a Ford Sierra. It used to stick, you had to hold the release with the finger tips of your right hand and with a bit of a stretch at the same time prise open the flap with the fingertips of your left hand.
Alfa (156 anyway) thoughtfully provide a piece of string in the event of such eventualities. I'm not kidding either, the 'emergency release' is a short piece of string that comes through a hole in the boot trim. to release the locking mechanism, never had to use though. Quite the opposite, had to glue the hinge back together as the moulding had a tendency to crack and the cover fall off when the release was pulled.
Dunno about the Nissan, it always worked.

Globalti

Legendary Member
New Passat drivers (B8 model) are going to find this behind the filler flap:

2012-mercedes-benz-ml350-bluetec-adblue-and-fuel-filler-caps-photo-411983-s-520x318.jpg

The blue filler is for AdBlue, which is a solution of urea in water. It causes a chemical reaction in the exhaust system, which reduces NOx emissions. One fill of Adblue should last 10,000 miles.

Attachments

• 2012-mercedes-benz-ml350-bluetec-adblue-and-fuel-filler-caps-photo-411983-s-520x318.jpg
    2012-mercedes-benz-ml350-bluetec-adblue-and-fuel-filler-caps-photo-411983-s-520x318.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 3

Drago

Legendary Member
The Mazda 6 of all generations is utterly unrelated to the Mundano, with the exception of the Gen 2 which used a Mazda redesigned variant of a floor pan which Ford themselves used in their own redesigned form. Mazdas own in house (and quite troublesome) engines, different structure, completely different suspension arrangement. I doubt there's so much as a sump plug washer common between the two.

The X-Type was Mondieu relative. The Jaguar engineers took a Mondeo, probably the best car in its.class at the time, and made it worse in every way, then stuck a stupid XJ6 front end on it.

As for fuel fillers... I don't have this problem with veg ;)

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru

Golf, Audi A4, Passatt, it was my mechanic, own business, similar time in the trade to you, on who's recommendation I returned to Fords. Going "upmarket" was an expensive lesson. Never again would I buy a VAG car, my mum is the same, she had problematic Polo's but now sticks with hassle free Suzuki Swifts.

Top Bottom