Anyone ever done any cycling south east France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LWeleven

i have a few ideas but never been to France looking for tips or maps or books that may help
i know there is a Bus to get me to Chamonix not sure if they take bikes though about starting there and heading to the coast

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I haven't done any real cycling round there but if you use Komoot or Cycle Travel, they'll both plot you a lovely route to the coast! And you can edit if it doesn't suit you.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I've used the European Bike Express a few times, pre Covid and they are very good. Lots off UK pick up points and similar drop off ones in France. I presume they're still operating in some form.
I can recommend the Luberon area. There is a very well marked cycle route round the Luberon, takes about a week at touring pace. Search for Luberon velo and you should find the site. It doesn't hit the coast though.
That said, all of that area of France is great for cycling, they love cyclists and there are many camp sites or pensions if you prefer.

dodgy

I know that area fairly well. Once you go ESE of Cluses towards Sallanches and Chamonix the roads are not particularly quiet, though I have ridden out that way. Chamonix is not really a road cycling destination as apart from the valley floor, the roads out of town are pretty fast, this is clearly visible on Google maps. I have ridden out to Sallanches to watch a mountain time trial for the TdF a few years back, which was ok, but the roads after Sallanches towards Chamonix are very unpleasant.

OP
OP
LWeleven

LWeleven

I know that area fairly well. Once you go ESE of Cluses towards Sallanches and Chamonix the roads are not particularly quiet, though I have ridden out that way. Chamonix is not really a road cycling destination as apart from the valley floor, the roads out of town are pretty fast, this is clearly visible on Google maps. I have ridden out to Sallanches to watch a mountain time trial for the TdF a few years back, which was ok, but the roads after Sallanches towards Chamonix are very unpleasant.
thanks for the info , what i read was stick to D or N roads ,unsure if that is correct ive only really just started reseaching , and there seamed to Be D or N roads all the way to Montpellier via Grenoble

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
N roads are mostly too busy, D or C roads are a better bet. Of course, if you're heading over a col you often don't have options about roads. I'll second the Luberon route mentioned upthread, I spent a very leisurely week doing it on a Brompton. I did Ventoux and the Gorge du Nesque as well. Fantastic area for cycling.

Gunk

Guru
Best cycling I’ve done has been in the Dordogne, you can cycle for hours and not see another vehicle, road surfaces are excellent. Hopefully my son and I will go back next year.

Top Bottom