Anyone ever had sciatica?...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Every case is different - the sciatic nerve is quite long and passes through lots of structures which can pinch it and cause these excruciating pains. Seek professional help. A phsyiotherapist can help if you are in moderate pain, but if you feel numbness in any area from your foot to your back, get thee to a doctor..fast.

On a side note, homeopathy will never help. Ever. It's quackery at it's finest.

I have had sciatica for over two years now. Doctor has given me some pain killers and anti inlamatory tablets. (One to be taken three times a day with or after a meal)

I find that being active actually helps?

"... but if you feel numbness in any area from your foot to your back, get thee to a doctor..fast..."

Why, Horace Goes Skiing? I assume it's a bad sign, but of what? I have always considered my sciatica a (Painful) nusence, but not 'dangerious'?

stevenb

I used to suffer with it really bad......my lower back right down my legs....both sides....it was very uncomfortable.
I was overweight at the time.
I found weightloss helped me a lot.
Also exercising helped me.
I have only had a couple of minor pains since I took up cycling seriously in September last year.
I couldn't find a cure.....I just used to take tablets and hope for the best.
I tried stretching exercises and all sorts....but to no avail.;)

Certainly not nice to live with.

catwoman

I have suffered intermittently for for a long time. It all started with a bout of tendonitis and developed into sciatica. I get acute attacks that I control with painkillers. I can feel an attack coming on and take painkillers immediately and it usually subsides within an hour or two. If I don't take the painkillers the attack will last for hours and I go into something similar to shock, feeling sick and hot and unable to walk due to numbness and pain.
I find stretching helps. The attacks have declined over the years and I haven't had one for ages (touch wood). I wouldn't trust a homeopathic remedy, if anyone suggested one to me at the height of an attack I would probably try and punch them. :biggrin:
I was assessed by the local hospital to confirm the diagnosis and the doctor told me I had probably damaged a disc in my spine and sometimes it will tear a little bit and fluid will leak onto the nerve and that's what causes the pain. There is no associated physical activity that causes the attacks. they just happen.
While discussing the pain the doctor held his hand up palm towards me and opened and closed his hand and fingers and I could see he understood the pain perfectly with that hand movement. It visually described the pain perfectly.
Sympathies to all fellow sufferers. Stretching and painkillers works for me.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I had it a couple of years back due to a tweaked joint in the base of my spine, the sacrial illiac joint(spelling). A trip to the chiropractor sorted it out after the first trip, well he got me walking again. A few more visits and the pain was sorted and I couild move freely again.

Slowgrind

I used to suffer with sciatica on and off when I had a job that included a lot of heavy lifting and digging. Talking to others who had suffered similar experiences put me on to some simple exercises to get rid of symptoms. A couple of times a day lay on your back and with your legs outstretched a couple of inches from the floor make a pedalling motion for about five minutes at a time. This did the trick for me and I`ve had good reports from others that I have passed this tip on to.

Slowgrind said:
I used to suffer with sciatica on and off when I had a job that included a lot of heavy lifting and digging. Talking to others who had suffered similar experiences put me on to some simple exercises to get rid of symptoms. A couple of times a day lay on your back and with your legs outstretched a couple of inches from the floor make a pedalling motion for about five minutes at a time. This did the trick for me and I`ve had good reports from others that I have passed this tip on to.

I'll give it a go, thank you Slowgrind

Lord of the Teapot said:
"... but if you feel numbness in any area from your foot to your back, get thee to a doctor..fast..."

Why, Horace Goes Skiing? I assume it's a bad sign, but of what? I have always considered my sciatica a (Painful) nusence, but not 'dangerious'?

Sciatica is a symptom of the sciatic nerve being pinched somewhere along it's length. If the pinch occurs high up, in the spinal column, then complications can occur., specifically Cauda Equina syndrome (Google it)

If anyone feels numbness or weakness in the nether regions, backside or legs, then get it seen to fast. Permanent damage to nerves can result in incontinence, impotence, weakness of the leg muscles - life-changing stuff.

It's not a risk for everyone with sciatica but if you have back pain and leg pain, it pays to know what's causing it.

Top Bottom