Anyone ever used bestbikeproducts.com?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barongreenback

Über Member
Hi all

I've finally decided that whilst my lovely hybrid is good enough for the 20 mile round trip to work, I want to have a proper weekend warrior bike. Being a bit on the large side both in height and girth (6' 4", 17.5 stone) and liking a more upright stance, the Specialized Secteur has caught my eye.

http://www.bestbikeproducts.com/ have 2010 models on sale (and I'm not desperately in need of this year's model) but I've never come across this crowd who are based in Hemel Hempstead.

Has anyone used them? Any feedback?

Feel free also to dissaude me from buying the Secteur Sport if there's better bike out there for the money in an XXL size frame.

Cheers

Baron

As a tall guy I can't stress enough how important it is to try before you buy, (although that does apply across the board too). I find that bikes with sloping top tube geometry are simply too small for me, but I am 6' 5"! I used to ride a 60cm Trek Madone 5.5 wth a horizontal top tube, (circa 2006) and loved it, (but sold it like a dick!), then I tried a 2009 Madone in a 60, but they'd followed the trend for sloping geometry, and subsequently it felt like a kids bike and it stayed on the shelf!

I have no experience of the site you are looking at, but they do appear to be a purely web based company so I'd check their returns policy before ordering. It may be absolutely fine, but better to make sure than potentially get stuck with a bike you don't use if it doesn't fit you properly.

Wiggle do 30 day test rides on some of their bikes, take a look here, it appears they currently have a bike sale on too; Wiggle

I'm sure I'll get shot down for my views on sloping geometry, but I speak as I find, and it simply does nothing for me fit wise, and looks wise I just prefer the appearence of a more traditional geometry frame.

I'd seriously visit your LBS and have a sit on a few different bikes, you may find surprising differences between the same size frames from different brands, but I'd visit a larger LBS, as in my experience it's very difficult to find a shop that stocks bikes in 60cm+ sizes. If you do find one it may well be a cancelled order, and if they've taken a non-refundable dipper already, you may be able to get a good deal on it :thumbsup:

Good luck and keep us posted.

tbtb

I have no experience of the site you are looking at, but they do appear to be a purely web based company so I'd check their returns policy before ordering.
Good advice re returns policy of course but they're not web only - quick google of the address shows it's a bike shop, est. 1985. The T&C confirms:
"Seller" shall mean Leisure Wheels t/as BestBikeProducts.com, 89 High Street Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire. VAT NO. GB 697 9853 40

LEISURE.jpg

Wherever you buy online you get a cooling off periond (I think is 7 days) within which you can return the goods for any reason (Distance selling regulations) , I cant see anyone else selling that year bike, they must have all sold out

OP
OP
barongreenback

barongreenback

Über Member
Thanks guys. Good to see they are a bricks and mortar shop. I see no-one is really trying to dissuade me from the Secteur - heard a lot of positive things about this one.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I am positive that they are just advertising out of stock bikes. I was looking for a Secteur Sport 2010 earlier this year and was after a 58cm frame and everywhere had sold out. I am sure that I noticed the shop you have mentioned and sent them an email asking if they had stock as I did not want to purchase online if it was out of stock. After a good few days they replied and stated that they had no stock, this was in February. If it was the same shop and they have not updated the stock levels they must be pretty shoot/lazy. Luckily I got my Secteur Sport just by walking in a local bike shop and seeing my frame size on offer for £519.99 so got a lucky bargain anyway. One thing that I do not like about the 2010 version is the Alexrim wheels, the rear one on mine has been nothing but trouble constantly going out of true. I may be just unlucky I dunno. But I am upgrading to Mavic Aksium next month as I am fed up of it now. Getting the bike at such a cheap a price compared to the 2011 model I am not that bothered about paying for this upgrade. A guy that I work with has bought the basic 2011 Secteur and this has Mavic wheels fitted as standard (CX22 or something). Probably not the best of wheels but I would guess that they are better than the Alexrims, and maybe could have been changed to complaints about the Alexrims. I am sure that I have read complaints about them on here and other websites.

Other than the wheels I am really happy with the bike though. I really like the relaxed riding position.

beastie

Guru
I have the Secteur sport too. It's a good bike, I will be buying new wheels to replace the Alex set , they are ok but heavy.

Top Bottom